Bruce Springsteen's origins

Started by George J. Homs on Monday, June 27, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 16 posts
6/27/2011 at 9:23 PM

I stumbled upon this 2010 New York Post article: http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/kin_not_born_in_the_usa_iBYg4Ryk...
Quote from the Boss: 'You can't really know who you are and where you're going unless you know where you came from.'
We should sign him up! :-)
Having said that, it's interesting that they would only mention his Italian ancestry that came through Ellis Island - omitting to mention that his direct lineage and surname is one of the oldest in America!

6/27/2011 at 9:33 PM

Indeed the Bruce Springsteen tree - Springsteen side - could use a little love. I only see it back to here:

John Simon Springsteen

6/28/2011 at 4:37 AM

Absolutely, Erica! I've seen that the connections for Bruce can lead to Caspar - the oldest one - but there are still some checks and mergers to do. However, I am puzzled that I don't find anything in Dutch archives. Caspar clearly comes from NL, but I don't find any traces there. I think it would be worthwhile to work on it, because the Springsteens are huge in the US (I saw they have a Facebook page where all Springsteens can connect)

6/28/2011 at 4:45 AM

So raise the challenge to them on Facebook when the Geni tree is more ready?

As to Caspar and Dutch archives, sounds like it could have been a "name change event at immigration." :)

Private User
6/28/2011 at 6:01 AM

George, as a start for my own search for migration of de-Moucheron-family I started this project.

http://www.geni.com/projects/Ehen-☙-Huwelijken-☙-Mariages

I attached you, but that was just to show you my initiative that might be helpful for your New Amsterdam-klus.
There I have put also some information I could find for SPRINGSTEEN on www.genlias.nl. Maybe it helps when Dutch people help searching, for the naming is somewhat puzzeling because of synonyms.

10/4/2021 at 4:01 PM

This is an "old" discussion, but I thought I should note that recently I've put some effort into expanding and filling out Bruce's family tree. So far, I've just focused on the American relatives and ancestors, but maybe I can find out something about his original Dutch origins.

10/9/2021 at 10:20 AM

Alex Moes maybe you’d enjoy chipping at this puzzle.

10/9/2021 at 6:28 PM

I seem to recall having noticed some Springsteens in the tree at one time.

10/9/2021 at 8:29 PM

There's a bad merge on Caspar Joosten Springsteen as he has too many wives, there are apparently 3 contemporaries named Caspar Springsteen in the colony according to threads at Wikitree https://www.wikitree.com/g2g/159118/were-there-two-caspar-springsteens

10/9/2021 at 8:34 PM

How random, the bad merge was today!
I've unDone it and will MP the other Caspar to stop a repeat.

10/9/2021 at 9:13 PM

It seems the evidence runs out at Casper Springsteen who's patronym may have been Josephsz or Jorisz https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Springsteen-29

Private User
10/10/2021 at 5:11 AM

Caspar Joosten Springsteen was formerly shown as one of my 9th ggrandparents. According to Alex's note here Casper Springsteen this is no longer the case. Now, it appears that Casper Springsteen is my 8th g-grandfather and there is no info on his parentage.

However, some of the Confirmed Match trees on Casper Springsteen's tree indicate his father was Caspar Joosten Springstten. Looks to me as though the original geni profile mixed up generations. Shouldn't we have a profile for a Caspar Joosten Springsteen who was father to Casper Springsteen?

Incidentally, another 9th ggrandfather is Jacob Reyer Schermerhorn who appears to connect with the Springstten tree via his ggrandaughter Jannetje Jacobs Springsteen who married Caspar Melchiorsen Springsteen

10/10/2021 at 7:42 AM

Hi Private User while I did some editing of Casper Springsteen today I did not disconnect any parents.

He was disconnected from Caspar Joosten Springsteen (as his father) in 2011 because Caspar Joosten Springsteen is actually his grandson, not his father.

The elder Caspar's father was likely named Joseph or Joris per the baptismal records quoted here: https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Springsteen-29

As for the confirmed matches, the guidance from Geni staff is that if it is clear that a suggested match is for the same person as the Geni profile it should be approved regardless of how accurate it is. Personally I approve tree matches so rarely as to say never and I put no store in them at all.

Private User
10/10/2021 at 10:21 AM

Alex, I agree with you on confirmed matches.
Wikitree Springsteen-58 and Springsteen-145 appear to be the same person as Springsteen-29.

I guess until more info comes to light, I've lost a 9th g-grandparent. 😜

10/10/2021 at 3:11 PM

Don't feel bad, I've never even met any of my 9th g-grandparents!

Springsteen-145 is internet gibberish, I can't access Springsteen-58 it seems to have been merged into Springsteen-29.

10/19/2021 at 8:12 PM

Simon Casparse Springsteen died in 1757. His son, John Simon Springsteen was apparently born in 1759.
So needs investigating.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion