Geni Pro Just Got a Whole Lot Better

Started by Private User on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

This discussion has been closed by an administrator.
Showing 211-240 of 1836 posts
8/22/2011 at 6:25 AM

Judi, thanks for your comment.

I have no idea - if GENI is planning something like "99 year Dead rule" - but I am Trying to Suggest it on Forums - since the "Private Profiles" - of Dead People - is GENI's Biggest Problem.

8/22/2011 at 6:54 AM

Bjorn, thanks. I understand the Birth year Calculation of a "Dead Person" - be it 99 or 120 - may not be simple, but there a Several Algorithms - that could accomplish this - Solving Many of the Merge Problems. The Year of course should reflect current Laws - but, posting messages, flags, warnings, etc. - is "Insufficient" - and the GENI Program should "Automatically Make the Profile Public" (not people). Many more People - were Effected by GENI's latest changes - than would be by Automatically changing Private Profiles of 99-120 year old People to Public. Some were created Private intentionally (information hogs) - but most were done Accidently by Gedcom Uploads and GENI set Private data entry default.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 7:37 AM

Erica please do because every time I tried it cam up just all the family members and no dups. You can't merge if there 's nothing to merge. If this profile is merged will I be back to nomal with at leased him and rebecca his 2nd wife and all the kids including William Taylor and daughter Anna Taylor Parker.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 7:43 AM

Judi/ Judith thanks. I am still hanging in. i don't know why i am but I am, in hopes maybe of getting my tree back in my shared hands.
Fay I am not too worried about my reputation. I know I am right in feeling the way I do but I will hang in to see what happens. I guess even thou I am a cat person , am kinda like a pit bull. Once I take a bit out of something it's hard to shake me loose!!!!!!!

Private User
8/22/2011 at 7:50 AM

Judy/Judith Morton and Murch are an interesting pair of lines. At least as far as I gotten. I think I have figured out ( no proof ) but I think I have it who Bryant's father was and back to George Morton through the process of elimination but I am still digging into Morton family to find some real proof. Murch we know they were in Maine fairly early but how Ebenezer arrived at flaggy meadow is a mystery . Same with John Cookson just seemed to appear in Boston fro the heavens above. Think James Taylor may have been an apprentice to someone sine he studied navigation under a John Cole at Ratclift( and that is ratclift not Radclift.) in England . Lot thinks to keep me busy. This is my family, my soule in away.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 7:56 AM

Bjorn, I thought that too but I followed from myself backwards and it was my input. Plus I couldn't find any dups. I checked and my name was the only manager on most and on a couple it had me and no name! What does no name mean? Who is no name? If I were further back to Historical profile I could see I not getting into the correct one as it can get messy when you get back that far. On some that i use to have my name on they had a little grey square that said I could relinquish my managership. I never did that but someone must have.I think by now you must know that I would never do that unless leaving.
To everyone who appears to really want me to stay. Thank you.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 8:13 AM

Private User - re: "Practically there is no difference between being the primary manager or not, - the only difference is who to get eventually contact profile manager messages and who is listed in profile lists where Geni only list one manager." -- Not True

In addition to the differences mentioned above, if you are not the Primary Manager, the profile will not be pulled up when you search for Profiles you Manage - this is a definite minus!! Mike Stangel said (in ATTENTION Curators .... on 8/16/2011): "We're planning to address that but I cannot put an engineer on it right now."
This alone (and/or with the fact only the Primary Manager is listed when showing Manager in lists - would it be really hard to put a symbol indicating 'and others'?) causes many folks to think - understandably, when they suddenly fail to pull it up that way - that they no longer manage the file.

Also -- only the file chosen as the Primary Profile currently has Revision History available. According to Mike Stangel in the discussion "Geni Pro" on 8/18/2011: "In a month or two we'll have the ability to show revisions on the profile that was merged into this one" -- so maybe then, maybe it will take longer -- and heaven only knows whether non-pros will be allowed to see it.

Moreover, the first difference mentioned above is quite important: Who the contact messages go to is important, especially if it is your great-grandparent or other family member you care about -- and the other person is only distantly connected and/or may not care at all, or may not know, or etc.

So there are at least three very important reasons why it matters!

8/22/2011 at 10:13 AM

Judith..you don't know my cat...he can be quite ferocious....

I just want you to calm down......

Peter....I brooched it before....century lines....(with a little 'give' room on either side....)....above the line would be at the 100 yr mark, below more current....with lines every century....but I also wish that the 'ghost' problem could be solved....as well as people who START their trees at 1700 and expect to go the 4-5 generations back as hold as private...)...I have a person now that claims to be dau of a person born 1802...there is no way this person (listed on no site) could be a child of the profile, and if she is I want her plastic surgeon and doctor's number ASAP.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 11:14 AM

I don't understand your latest comment, Brox. But don't bother - Hope Geni is going to make me able to be a pro soon, so don't bother. Time they find out that they are operating international and not the American way :-)
Imagine international companies who don't bother about their customers payments :-)))))

Have a nice evening all. Late summer evening sunshine here in Denmark. Beautiful.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 11:34 AM

Hej
jeg kan ikke svare på engelsk

men forsøger at følge med ved Google translate

Igen til dig Henny

Ja det kan ikke passe at de ikke snart får øjnene op ,

vi er dog mange som ikke bor i USA

men er vi ikke længere en del af Geni

er vores bidreg ikke noget for dem at samle på

jeg har dog en stærk " formodning " om at de fleste amerikanere er fra europa :o)

og dermed af os her på denne side af atlanten ,
har rigtig meget at bidrage med

som du en rigtig god aften , her i nordjylland er det også en rigtig fin aften

Private User
8/22/2011 at 11:46 AM

Hej Marion - I love your posts :-)

I'll try to translate:

Quote:
Hi
I'm not able to post in English.
Once more for you Henny
Yes it cannot be true that they still haven't opened their eyes
we are plenty of users who don't live in USA
but are we no longer a part of Geni
is our contribution worth nothing to them
Yet I have a strong feeling that most Americans find their ancestors in Europe .o)
and in this way we who are from this site of the Atlantic
have really a lot to contribute with
As you I wish you all a very good evening, here in the northern part of Jutland, Denmark the evening is also wonderful.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 3:29 PM

Hi Marion . ,Many of us in America know that some where along the line someone in our family came from either Europe, or Asia or Affica, Some are not interested and some are . I was interested ,that's why i added so much in English, since that's all i speak. What bothers a lot of us , has been the constant instance that everying be recorded in international ways and by that I mean French, German < spanish ete. Do remember a lot of us who's families came here in the 1600"s were of by then English background and altho William the Conq. was orginally French , he did take over England and become an English King, hense the people who speak English are going to refer to him by his English name.If we must have the names in more then one way, then all should be on there , That's it. No one has a problem with Euopians other then what a lot of us feel is their aggriagance towrds us.We have a lot to contrubute too you know.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 3:35 PM

Like others just tried to merge people and it won't let me. Pops me right over to joining as a pro. i said and it won't let me merge.

8/22/2011 at 3:38 PM

Unknown Profile Please post links and you will get help until the situation changes, hopefully soon

Private User
8/22/2011 at 3:45 PM

Forgot earlier - yet another reason why Primary Manager matters - in this case, think perhaps only for Private Profiles - but in 'Settings' for 'Profiles You Manage' -- you have a choice whether to show Location or not, whether to show Profile Photo or not; also - less is shown if you choose not to be searchable by the Public (or at least, that was the case, last I checked) - I assume all of these depend on Primary Manager's settings! And additional controls for children under 13 - which again is probably based on Primary Manager's choices.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 3:51 PM

Don't know how to post a link or URl. Won't know either I can get to library for some classes.Need a person to stand over me an watch me do it, until it makes sense. all i do on a computer is email, post pictures , face book, basic stuff. Nothing earth shadowing. I don't order on line, i don't conduct business on it. I don't twitter or blogg. In fact I don't even have a cell phone. I should get one but that's for another time. I have no need to be in constant contact with anyone.
Getting closer to pulling up stacks and amking a run for it.
PS haven't you noticed an awful lot of people are feeling the same way? I may not have noticed some of this stuff if these other people hadn't started to complain. Then I decided to back tract and see what was going on in my lines.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 3:57 PM

Also Eldon I have a lot of things going on . I can't retire at the moment . The reason's are know to me not the world, I may pull papers and re run for Town Meeting again, Was a member for ten years and then moved. Well, people keep coming up to me an asking me to run again. Well we will see. Local Historical Soc, which I am on the Board of Directors, is aging and losing members we have serious decisions to make. Plus I need to find a way to make extra money Geni was a nice outlet and fun as well as interesting . I've met a lot nice and some not so nice people.But something's gotta give here and I don't want it to be me!

Private User
8/22/2011 at 4:50 PM

I belong to a gen Soc that meets in the next town from me. I am going to get there in put into this mess.A couple of them awhile said don't get involved with Geni but it was too late I was already embedded into the system.

8/22/2011 at 5:20 PM

Maybe your genealogical society office would be interested in putting geni public access on their computer.

I'm just plugging away at family history myself. Found a sheriff of Staffordshire cousin, in the 1480s, sued for stealing sheep.

Private User
8/22/2011 at 8:20 PM

Funny you should mention that. The Saugus library has geni, that's where I first encountered it. The lynnfield Library, which is where the Gen room is, does not have geni..
The Essex Soc of Genealogist meets in a church.. Their Gen room is in the library. it has a very good collection.

8/23/2011 at 2:03 AM

I told you last fall that the NH STate Library had access to Geni and suggested you check with YOUR state library...

Remember...my cousin is head genealogist for them.

Private User
8/23/2011 at 2:39 AM

Please folks. Access from the library to Geni. For what purpose, may I ask.
Do you want to spend your genealogy time on a library?
I want my genealogy to take place from MY computer in my home. A library access to ancestry.com is OK because of the informative database on that site.
But Geni ....... :-))

Private User
8/23/2011 at 2:41 AM

Besides Geni access from a library doesn't let you have more possibilites to work on your tree than you have as a free-user.

8/23/2011 at 3:25 AM

I'm not sure that's true. Did you read the whole description?

http://www.geni.com/blog/announcing-geni-public-access-369917.html

Private User
8/23/2011 at 4:20 AM

Det bliver dog være og være det de kommer frem med
jeg sider i kørestol og , derfor er afhænig af at kunne bruge egen pc her i mit hjem,

jeg er min egen herre

men deler gerne min viden med dem

hvorfor kan de ikke finde ud af at
lave en ganske almindelig
BANK overførsel ?????

8/23/2011 at 5:17 AM

You mistake WHY I said that Geni can be accessed at State Library....the FACT that they are using Geni as a source is significant.....just like they use Ancestry and LDS records.....

That is what I was trying to convey...that Geni WAS gaining use and respect by Libraries enough to be accessed by them.....

8/23/2011 at 5:24 AM

By the way...do some of you even READ what people say.....how many times does Judith have to tell you she does NOT know HOW to send a URL etc.......and yet you read? what she says and respond "send me the profile, the URL" etc........and then wonder why she gets upset.....because noone seems to LISTEN to her saying "I don't know how to...."

So you aren't interested in accessing Geni at a Library....the point WAS that non-Geni people also have access through the Library to a source that Librarian's consider good enough to USE.....is THAT clear enough,?

Private User
8/23/2011 at 5:53 AM

Erica - the only genealogists this library link support is the ones outside Geni. Now it's easier to copy profiles from here. Much easier than by googling.

At the same time free-geniusers who have delivered their familytree here have no access. Completely laughable.
We are all made fools.

Private User
8/23/2011 at 6:06 AM

I'll try to translate Marions latest post of today 11:20 AM.

Quote:
It's growing worse and worse what's coming up in here.
I'm sitting in a wheelchair and therefore I'm dependent on being able to use my own computer here in my home.
I am my own master but gladly share my knowledge with Geni..
Why cannot Geni figure out how to make an ordinary BANK transfer ?????
Unquote.

Private User
8/23/2011 at 6:07 AM

Don't forget that libraries are not open 24/7. Far from here in Denmark. And that access to computers there are not unlimited.

Showing 211-240 of 1836 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion