|Birthplace:||Little Eaton, Essex, England|
|Death:||Died in Chertsey, Surrey, England|
|Place of Burial:||Chertsey, Surrey, England|
Son of William Bourchier II, Count of Eu and Anne Stafford of Gloucester, Countess of Eu
|Occupation:||Baron of Berners. Knight of the Garter. Constable of Windsor Castle from 1461 to 1474, Baron Berners, Knight of the Garter (23 Apr 1459), 1rst Baron of Berners, Knighted in 1426, 1461 - 1474, Constable of Windsor Castle, Baron, KG|
|Managed by:||Ann Margrethe Nilsen|
Matching family tree profiles for John Bourchier, 1st Baron Berners
About John Bourchier, 1st Baron Berners
Sir John Bourchier, 1st Baron Berners KG (died May 1474) was an English peer.
Bourchier was the fourth son of William Bourchier, Count of Eu, and his wife Anne of Woodstock, Countess of Buckingham, daughter of Thomas of Woodstock, 1st Duke of Gloucester. Henry Bourchier, 1st Earl of Essex, and William Bourchier, 9th Baron Fitzwarine, were his elder brothers. He was knighted in 1426 and in 1455 he was summoned to the House of Lords as John Bourchier de Berners, which created the title of Baron Berners. In 1459 he was further honoured when he was made a Knight of the Garter. He also served as Constable of Windsor Castle from 1461 to 1474.
Lord Berners married Margery, daughter of Sir Richard Berners. He died in May 1474 and was succeeded in the barony by his grandson John Bourchier, 2nd Baron Berners, his son Sir Humphrey Bourchier having been killed at the Battle of Barnet in 1471. Margery, Lady Berners, died in 1475. His daughter Joan Bourchier married Sir Henry Neville (d. 26 July 1469), son of George Neville, 1st Baron Latymer and Lady Elizabeth Beauchamp, and had issue which included Richard Nevill, 2nd Baron Latymer, father of John Neville, 3rd Baron Latymer.
- 1.^ G.E. Cokayne; with Vicary Gibbs, H.A. Doubleday, Geoffrey H. White, Duncan Warrand and Lord Howard de Walden, editors, The Complete Peerage of England, Scotland, Ireland, Great Britain and the United Kingdom, Extant, Extinct or Dormant, new ed., 13 volumes in 14 (1910-1959; reprint in 6 volumes, Gloucester, U.K.: Alan Sutton Publishing, 2000), volume XII/2, page 560.
- Kidd, Charles, Williamson, David (editors). Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage (1990 edition). New York: St Martin's Press, 1990.
- Leigh Rayment's Peerage Pages [self-published source][better source needed]
- 'John BOURCHIER (1° B. Berners)
- 'Born: ABT 1415, Little Eaton, Essex, England
- 'Died: 16 May 1474
- 'Notes: Knight of the Garter. Fought for Henry VI at the first battle of St. Albans. Afterwards changed sides.
- Father: William BOURCHIER (E. Eu)
- Mother: Anne PLANTAGENET (C. Stafford and Eu)
- 'Married: Margery (Margaret) BERNERS (B. Berners) ABT 1441
- 1. Joan BOURCHIER
- 2. Humphrey BOURCHIER (Sir Knight)
- 3. Elizabeth BOURCHIER (B. Welles)
- 4. Thomas BOURCHIER (Sir Knight)
- From: http://www.tudorplace.com.ar/BOURCHIER1.htm#John BOURCHIER (1° B. Berners)
-------------------- 1st Lord Berners 23 April 1459 (Age 44) Knight, Order of the Garter 17 December 1461 (Age 46) Constable of Windsor Castle