John Home, Min. of Athelstaneford
|Birthplace:||Ancrum, Roxburghshire, Scotland|
|Death:||Died in Merchiston Bank, Midlothian, Scotland|
|Place of Burial:||Mural Monument, South Leith Churchyard, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland|
|Managed by:||Alisdair James Smyth|
Historical records matching John Home, Min. of Athelstaneford
About John Home, Min. of Athelstaneford
Home, John. 22/09/1722-05/09/1808. Ref: 752. Male.
- Titles and British Honours: Rev.
- Place of Birth: Ancrum, Roxburghshire, (Rogers).
- Place of Death: Merchiston Bank, near Edinburgh.
- Place of interment: Mural Monument,South Leith Churchyard, Edinburgh.
- Profession: Minister of Religion, Dramatist.
- Appointments Held: Licensed 1745 CS; Minister 1746-57, Athelstaneford, East Lothian; later Private Secretary to Earl of Bute; tutor to future George III; 1763 Scots Privilages (Sinecure) at Campvere, Holland; 1770 resided at Kilduff, East Lothian, later Edinburgh.
- Schools and Tutors: Leith Grammar School.
- Undergraduate Studies: Edinburgh University.
- Marital Status: Married (1770) Mary Home.
- Father: Alexander Home, Town-Clerk of Leith.
- References: DNB 27, 1891, 235-8; Anderson 2, 488; Irving 218; Shapin 248; S Devlin-Thorp Scotland's Cultural Heritage, 2, 1981,47; C Rogers 1, 1871, 119.
- Memberships: Highland Society (Hon).
- Date of Election: 17/11/1783.
- Proposers: Founder Member.
- Notes: Author of "Douglas".
- Fellow Type: OF.
SOURCE: Waterston, Charles D; Macmillan Shearer, A (July 2006). Biographical index of former fellows of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, 1783-2002: Biographical Index. I. Edinburgh: The Royal Society of Edinburgh. ISBN 978-0-902198-84-5. page 451