The Bialystok Ghetto was set up by Nazi Germany between July 26 and early August 1941 in the new capital of Bezirk Bialystok district of German-occupied Poland.
About 50,000 Jews from the vicinity of Białystok and the surrounding region were herded into a small area of the city.
The ghetto was split in two by the Biala River running through it (see map). Most inmates were put to work in the forced-labor enterprises, primarily in large textile factories established within its boundaries.
The ghetto was liquidated in November 1943 as soon as the courageous Białystok Ghetto Uprising was extinguished.
All its inhabitants were either killed locally or transported in cattle trucks to the Majdanek and Treblinka extermination camp.