This project seeks to list representatives of all of the Jewish families from the Moravian town of Batelov (Battelau) in the Czech Republic.
First mentioned in 1279 as a village and in 1534 as a small town. Built on the original fortress and later reconstructed in the Baroque style, q Late-Renaissance mansion from the 17th century stands in the village. The Baroque Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, which was built between 1755 - 1766, dominates the square. The synagogue was founded in the former Jewish ghetto at the beginning of the 19th century. A memorial to the Czech writer and journalist Karel Havlíček Borovský can be found near the mansion." Jews lived in Batelov for 600 years. In WWII, the very small community with a long history disappeared.
Earliest known Jewish community dates from after 1426. 1930 Jewish population (census) was 31. A big fire in 1790 effected the Jews community. Professor Moritz Antscerl and Gustav Bohm, a painter, lived in Batelov. The Jewish cemetery originated in the 16th century with last known Conservative Jewish burial before 1942.