This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families from the village of Rtišovice, Czech Republic.
Village district (bezirk) and region: Rtišovice is a small village now in the district of Pribram in the region of Stredocesky kraj (Central Bohemia), Czech Republic.
It is located about 2.5 km southeast of Milin. There are 40 registered addresses and 23 people live here permanently. Cities, towns and places near Rtisovice include Myslovice, Zivotice, Vrancice and Radetice.
(translated from Rtišovic. )
Rtišovice was first mentioned in 1398 after the brothers Zdenek and Hynek Rtišovic. Another well-known member of this family is Ivan from Rtišovic. From 1407 to 1437 the village was owned by Bořivoj of Svinaře courtier of King Wenceslas IV. The first mention of the fortress is from the period around 1491 when Bohuslav from Nemcice sold it to Jošt Fremdárovi, whose descendants lived in the fortress several generations. Another owner was Charles Maxima Lažanský, and after his death it was sold to the convent of St. Jiljí in 1696. During the Thirty Years War, the fort was twice ransacked. In 1738 it was bought by Vitek from Galoybergů and the reconstruction and repair of complex continued. Around 1848 it became a sugar, distillery and brewery. In 1864 it was bought by Count Clam Martinitz, and later it was owned by industrialist Hernych. After 1948, when the state owned the castle, the building fell into disrepair. Today, it is in a very dilapidated state, but it is used for housing and farming.
The History of the Jews in Rtišovice :
Birth, Death and Marriage record books for ….. are preserved and located at ……
They used the cemetery at Kamenna. The landmarked cemetery originated about 1760-65 with last known Jewish burial 1930s. Milim, 4 km away and Rtizovice, 5 km away, used this cemetery. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign. Reached by turning directly off a public road, access is open to all via a broken masonry wall and locking gate. Size of cemetery before and after WWII: 1834 sq. m.
100-500 gravestones, 1-20 not in original locations and 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1762 or 1765-20th century. The granite and sandstone flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with carved relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German, and/or Czech inscriptions. No structures. Praha Jewish community owns Jewish cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred from 1945 through the present. Jewish groups within country occasionally cleared vegetation. Current care: occasional clearing or cleaning by individuals and by regular caretaker paid by Praha Jewish Congregation. Security (uncontrolled access) and vegetation pose serious threats. Vegetation overgrowth seasonally prevents access. Weather erosion and pollution pose slight threats. (ref http://www.iajgsjewishcemeteryproject.org/czech-republic/kamenna.html)
Rtišovice Inhabitants (those on geni in blue, those not yet entered in black) :
Bohemia Jewish Census