This project seeks to collect all of the Jewish families form the town of Kamýk nad Vltavou in Bohemia, Czech Republic.
Village district(bezirk) and region:
- Pre 1848: region Beroun
- 1848-1918: bezirk Selcan/Seltschan (now Sedlcany), region Tabor
- Now: district Pribram, region Central Bohemia
Kamýk nad Vltavou is a village and municipality in Příbram District in the Central Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. It lies on the Vltava River. ( German name: Moldau). It is located on the border of Sedlčany and Pribram district in Central Bohemia, about 20 km east of Pribram and 12 km west of Sedlčany. As of 1.1. 2008 there were 868 inhabitants.
- Vrskamyk - now a ruin, which is currently undergoing refurbishment.
- Water tank Kamýk - is part of a large complex of hydraulic structures on the Vltava river, the Vltava Cascade.
- Church of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary - forms a natural landmark of the village on the left bank of the Vltava River.
- Late Baroque building from the 2nd part 18th century
- Kamýcká bridge 1887-1889 was reconstructed in 1957 and 1999.
- Jewish Cemetery - located southeast of the village near the Radobýl court.
The village was founded in the 10th cent. as a settlement at the princely courts. Kamyk developed mainly during the reign of Wenceslas I. (1230-1253) who built the castle. His residence here in the years 1236 - 1247 is documented. At that time Kamýk was the focal point of a large administrative and judicial district, situated from the left bank of the Vltava River to Brdy. Its castle was often occupied by the king, his officers and hunters.
In 1932 the following was recorded: 463 residents, a post office, telephone office, telegraph office, police station, Catholic Church, synagogue. The following trades were recorded: transportation, production of cement products, brick, barber, economic team, 5 inns, hotel, stone-cutting plant, wheeler, three blacksmiths, two tailors, pelts, mill, 3 shoemakers, baker, brewer, 5 farmers, butchers, 6, 4 shops groceries, two newsagents, two carpenters. The village Velká, 510 inhabitants became part of Kamyka nad Vltavou and the following trades were recorded in 1932: brickyard, 2 inns, brokerage, stone-cutting plant, basket maker, blacksmith shop, hides, pelts, 2 folds, 4 mills, 2 stores with bottled beer, 15 peasants, two convenience stores, tobacco shop, carpenter.
For more information on the history see here (in Czech) http://www.obeckamyk.cz/index.php/zajimavosti/historie
The History of the Jews in Kamýk nad Vltavou :
to be completed.......
8.3.1940 - directive concerning liquidation of Jewish businesses
Birth, Death and Marriage record books for Kamýk nad Vltavou are preserved and located at ……
Jewish Cemetry (copied from http://www.iajgsjewishcemeteryproject.org/czech-republic/drazkov.html)
The landmarked cemetery located 2 km SW of the village on the edge of the forest on top Radobylka, S of the road Kamyk nad Vltavou dates from later than the second half of the 17th century (reportedly 1680). About 300 tombs dating from 1681 to 1936 are visible, including a number of baroque granite tombstones decorated with floral ornaments and symbols. The reconstructed tahara holds the preserved stone ceremonial table. During 1990s, the cemetery was cleared of the self-seeded vegetation and simultaneously restored: the entire complex, repaired tahara, fences and fallen gravestones righted. Ongoing maintenance cemetery should continue in the future. Restoration of historic tombstones from the 17th - 19 century should be undertaken." [September 2011]
Alternate German name: Draschkow. The town is in the province of Bohemia, Pribram at 49º39 14º15. The next larger town is Pribram, 18 km E. The cemetery is 2 km SW of town. Present town population is under 1,000 with no Jews.
- Local: Obecni urad, 262 64 Svaty Jan u Sedlcan, (Director by cadastre) or Obecni urad, magistrate: Mr. Padevet, 262 63 Kamyk nad Vltavou tel. 0306/977-104
- Regional: Pamatkovy ustav pro stredni Cechy, arch. Ms. Vylatova, Valdstejnske namesti 1, 118 00 Praha 1, tel.853-57-46. Also, Okresni Urad, Referat Kultury, Engineer Ma. Touzimska, 261 01 Pribram.
- Interested: Okresni Muzeum, namesti H. Klicky 293, 261 02 Pribram; tel. 0306/4734 or 0306/4746, and Statni Zidovske Muzeum, Jachymova 3 110 00 Praha 1 and Zidovska Nabozenska Obec, Maislova 18, 110 00 Praha 1.
- Caretaker with key: Engineer Josef Vancovsky, 262 63 Kamyk nad Vltavou 165; tel. 0306/977-175.
Earliest known Jewish community was the mid-18th century. 1930 Jewish population was 2. The landmarked Jewish cemetery originated in 17th century with the last known Conservative or Progressive/Reform burial in 1936. Jews moved to big towns in the second half of the 19th century. Kamyk nad Vltavou, 2 km away, used the cemetery from the mid-19th century. Between fields and woods, the isolated hillside has no sign. Reached directly off a public road, access is open with permission via continuous masonry wall and locking gate.The cemetery size is 2,809 sq. m.
100-500 gravestones, all in original locations with 25%-50% toppled or broken, date from 1681. Some stones were moved to a museum of conservation. The marble or granite flat shaped stones, finely smoothed and inscribed stones, flat stones with relief decoration or multi-stone monuments have Hebrew, German or Czech inscriptions. Some stones have metal fences around some graves. The cemetery contains no known mass graves. Praha Jewish community owns cemetery. Adjacent properties are agricultural. Rarely, private visitors stop. Vandalism occurred occasionally in the last ten years and between 1945 and ten years ago. Jewish groups within the country cleared vegetation, fixed the gate, and arranged for repair of stones and wall from 1990 to 1992. Praha Jewish congregation pays a regular caretaker. Within the limits of the cemetery is a pre-burial house with tahara (ritual burial table) and a well. Security and vandalism are moderate threats, and weather erosion, pollution, and vegetation are slight threats.
Engineer Mojmir Maly, Ve Stresovickach 58, 169 00 Praha 6; tel. 35-57-69 and by Jiri Fiedler, Brdickova 1916, 155 00 Praha 5 completed survey on May 20, 1992 using notes of the Statni Zidovske Muzeum Praha, the history of the village of Drazkov, and the census of 1724 and 1930. Maly visited site in 1992 and interviewed the local historian in 1983."
Jewish inhabitants on geni (birth surnames given for females) :
- Ascher (Kolliner) Klara (1860 - )
- Friedmann (Schalek) Barbara (1811 - 1899)
- Grünspan (Schalek) Franziska (1875 - 1943)
- Klíma Emanuel
- Klima (Klinger) Ota (1910 - )
- Kolliner (Freund) Hedwig (1863 - 1910)
- Schalek Adolf (1854 - 1868)
- Schalek Albina (1877 - 1878)
- Sommer (Schalek) Amalie
- Schalek Asher (1820 - 1847)
- Schalek Cecilie (1857 - )
- Schalek Jakob (1818 - 1885)
- Schalek Joachim (1859 - 1884)
- Schalek Johanna (1856 - 1882)
- Schalek Josef (1824 - 1892)
- Schalek Karl (1852 - )
- Schalek (Robitschek) Katharina (1825 - 1871)
- Schalek (Glück) Katharina (1784 - 1874)
- Schalek Lobl (1784 - 1874)
- Schalek Samuel (1782 - 1849)
- Schalek Teresie (1816 - )
- Schalek Wilhelmina (1868 - )
1793 Bohemia Jewish Census
see Kamyk.pdf and Chlumec.pdf under Photos and Documents