The purpose of this project is to list the monuments, statues and memorials throughout the State of Louisiana. These points of interest are dedicated to the men and women that honored Louisiana during its rich history.
Equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson (New Orleans)
Located in Jackson Square in New Orleans. This statue is likely one of the most recognized in Louisiana. This equestrian statue of Andrew Jackson was erected in 1856 and stands in the center of the park. A little known fact is that this is one of four identical statues in the United States by the sculptor Clark Mills. The other three are located in Washington, D.C., Nashville, Tennessee and Jacksonville, Florida.
Bienville Monument (New Orleans)
Located in Bienville Place; the triangular park between North Peters and Decatur streets at Conti Street in New Orleans' French Quarter. This bronze statue was sculpted by Angela Gregory in 1955. Known as the "Father of Louisiana," this monument honors Jean-Baptiste Le Moyne de Bienville.
The LaSalle monument (Plaquemines Parish)
Located in Plaquemines Parish next to Fort Jackson, this monument commemorates the discovery of Louisiana in 1682 by the French explorer René-Robert Cavelier, Sieur de La Salle.
Bayou Mardi Gras Plaque (Plaquemines Parish)
Located in Plaquemines Parish at Fort Jackson, this plaque commemorates what is believed to be the first Mardi Gras celebration in the Americas. The plaque reads: Across the Mississippi River from this marker is historic Bayou Mardi Gras, oldest place-name of other than Indian origin in the whole vast Mississippi River valley. One Tuesday 3 March 1699 Pierre LeMoyne, Sieur D'Iberville, with his companions camped where the bayou - then 135 feet wide - entered the river. The day being the per-lent holiday called Mardi Gras, he gave that name to both bayou and adjoining point of land. The name "Bayou Mardi Gras" ultimately disappeared from maps. It was replaced by "Bayou Plaquemines" and by "Fort Bayou" because of the proximity of Fort St. Philip established by Spain in 1795 and of Plaquemines Point. Meeting 28 January 1971, the Plaquemines Parish Commission Council officially restored the rightful designation, to be borne by that bayou forevermore, Bayou Mardi Gras.
Statue d'Evangéline (St. Martinville)
Located in the Perpetual Adoration Garden & Historic Cemetery in St. Martin de Tours Church Square, on Main Street, St. Martinville. The statue depicts Evangeline, the Acadian heroine immortalized by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow in a poem. Erected in 1929, the statue was donated to St. Martinville by actress Delores Del Rio after she filmed a movie in the area. She was also the model for the sculpture. The statue was sculpted by Marcelle Rebecchini.
Margaret Haughery Statue (New Orleans)
Created by Alexander Doyle, this statue is in honor of Margaret Haughery (d. 1882), one of New Orleans best known philanthropists. Widely known as “Our Margaret,” “The Bread Woman of New Orleans" and “Mother of Orphans,” Margaret devoted her life’s work to the care and feeding of the poor and hungry, and to fund and build orphanages throughout the city. The poor called her "Saint Margaret." The statue was dedicated on 9 July 1884.
Robert E. Lee Monument (New Orleans)
Created by Alexander Doyle, this monument commemorates Robert E. Lee. Erected in 1884. The statue in in the middle of Lee Circle in New Orleans. Lee stands on the top of a column, facing due north because Lee believed that you should never turn your back on a Yankee.
Benjamin Franklin Statue (New Orleans)
The Benjamin Franklin Statue was created by Attillo Picirilli and dedicated to the people of New Orleans by Henry Wadsworth Gustine in 1926. It is located in Lafayette Square in New Orleans. The inscription, one of Franklins sayings reads "Save while you are young to spend while you are old. One penny saved is better than two pennies earned." This statue of Benjamin Franklin replaced a marble statue of Franklin that once sat in the same location. The marble statue of Franklin now rests in the foyer of the Benjamin Franklin High School at 2001 Leon C. Simon Drive.
Henry Clay Statue (New Orleans)
The bronze statue of Henry Clay was created by Hyram Powers and sits on top of a tall stone pillar. The statue was originally situated at the intersection of Canal Street and St. Charles Avenue, but was removed in 1900 to the present location in the middle of Lafayette Square to make room for the street car lines. This statue was the only statue made in an ambitious plan to line Canal Street with statues.
John McDonogh Statue (New Orleans)
This statue of John McDonogh created by Hyram Powers and donated by school children of New Orleans from 1892-1898. Located on the north end of Lafayette Square in New Orleans. He is most famous for endowing public education in two major American cities—New Orleans and Baltimore.
Spanish-American War Monument (New Orleans)
Located on Loyola Avenue, facing north into the intersection with Poydras Street. This monument was originally located at North Claiborne and Canal Street and dedicated on 30 May 1939, The statue is known as "The Hiker"; created by Theo Alice Ruggles Kitson. Leonard Sefing, Jr., a Spanish-American War veteran from Allentown, Pennsylvania, was selected as the model for the statue. It commemorates the American soldiers who fought in the Spanish-American War. The first version of it was made for the University of Minnesota in 1906, but at least 50 copies have been placed across the US.
Winston Churchill Statue (New Orleans)
This statue of Winston Churchill was sculpted by Welsh sculptor, Ivor Roberts-Jones, It was donated in 1977 by International Rivercenter. The statue is locate at the end of Poydras Street near the Mississippi River. During the dedication, an excerpt from one of Churchill's speeches as quoted: "Like the Mississippi, it just keeps rolling along. Let it roll. Let it roll on full flood, inexorable, irresistible, benignant, to broader lands and better days."
Molly Marine Statue (New Orleans)
Sculpted by Enrique Alferez in 1943, the Molly Marine statue at the intersection of Elks Place and Canal Streets, depicts a female Marine, with the inscription “Free A Marine To Fight” engraved on the pedestal where Molly Marine stands. This is first United States monument of a woman in service uniform. The model for the statue was former Marine Judy Mosgrove. Two replicas of the statue exist; one is located at the Marine Corps Base at Quantico, Virginia, the other is at the Marine Corps Recruit Depot at Parris Island South Carolina.
Holocaust Memorial (New Orleans)
Created by a broad-based committee representing all aspects of the New Orleans community, both Jewish and non-Jewish, the Holocaust Memorial for the Crescent City in located in Woldenberg Park adjacent to the Aquarium of the Americas. The exciting design has been fashioned by the international award-winning Israeli artist, Yaacov Agam. The sculpture is composed of nine panels, each with different designs. As you view the sculpture from different angles, the designs on the panels meld to form distinct images. Ten images come into view as you walk around the panels. The Memorial was dedicated in June 2003.