About the Suriname and the Netherlands Antilles portal
The aim of this portal is to create a place to meet other people who are researching Suriname and the Antilles
What can you do here?
- Ask questions.
- Collaborate on your research.
- Share knowledge you have gained as you've done your own research in a specific area.
- Problem finding an ancestors , open a discussion here and we all try to help
- Start your own related project.
- Add your profiles.
- Start or take part in a discussion
- The Dutch Empire
- Caribbean Genealogy Research Netherlands Antilles
- Caribbean surname index
- Nieuwe Ooster cemetery Amsterdam burial records of people born in Suriname
- Maroon people
- Creole people
Islands of the Antilles:
- Antilleans have a wide variety of ancestors, which is determined by the History of the Netherlands Antilles. Until the arrival of the Spaniards in 1493, the Antilles were inhabited by Amerindians. In the early 16th century, the majority of the Amerindians disposed of as slaves, and the Spaniards became the majority of the population. In 1634, the Netherlands took over Curaçao and settled also Dutch people on the islands. After 1665, the Antilles became a transit port for African slaves, which were traded by the West India Company. A small proportion of the slaves remained behind and was deployed at the plantations.
- The Windward Islands were at the end of the 15th century discovered by the Spaniards. The islands changed regularly as owner. The population is descended from British, Scottish, Irish, French, African slaves and Dutch people.
- The Antilleans from the Leeward Islands talk often Papiamento, the Antilleans of the Windward Islands generally speak English.
Ethnic groups of Suriname
- Afro-Guyanese Language :Guyanese Creole English
- Akuliyo, Wama language : Akurio
- Apalai Language: Apalai
- Arab, Syrian Language : Arabic, North Levantine
- Arawak, Lokono Language: Arawak
- Aukan, Ndjuka Language : Aukan
- British Language English
- Coastal Carib, Galibi Language Carib
- Han Chinese, Cantonese Language :Chinese, Yue
- Han Chinese, Hakka Language: Chinese, Hakka T
- Hmong Njua, Blue Language : Hmong Njua T
- Indonesian Language : Indonesian
- Javanese, Caribbean Language :Javanese, Caribbean
- Jew, Dutch Language : Dutch T
- Kwinti Language: Kwinti
- Latin American, Language :Spanish
- Portuguese Language : Portuguese
- Saramaccan Language :Saramaccan
- Saramaccan, Matawari Language :Saramaccan
- Sarnami Hindi, Carribean Hin Language: Hindustani, Caribbean
- Surinamese Creole, Sranan Language : Sranan
- Surinamese, Dutch-Speaking Language :Dutch
- Tiriyo, Trio Language : Trio
- Warao Language: Warao
- Wayana, Oyana Language : Wayana