Remove spam profile photo?

Started by Jan Ove Askautrud on Thursday, January 26, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 21 posts
1/26/2012 at 1:17 AM

Hi all,

Someone has uploaded and linked irrelevant photos to a few public profiles that are admininstrated by several people, see:

Karen Hansdatter Kanebogen

We have a similar problem with nearby profiles.

I cannot find any way of removing this profile photo, which is clearly irrelevant. We have a similar problem with a few nearby profiles in the tree.

Is there any way we can fix this?

Regards,
Jan Ove

Private User
1/26/2012 at 2:29 AM

The curators like me have access to untag people from photos, but I see someone have done this already.

Private User
1/26/2012 at 2:39 AM

The parent conflict shows me that this specific profile seem to be a result of a bad merge, - do you have any sources?

Private User
1/26/2012 at 3:23 AM

I have fixed the parent conflict and added a new Karen Hansdatter to th eparents that was disconnected.

Seem to be a classical error done by someone who does not know that Hansdatter is not a surname meaning that two Karen Hansdatter cold be related.

Hansdatter just means: Daughter of a person named Hans.

1/26/2012 at 3:28 AM

Hi Bjørn,

Thanks for the response. Presumably some of the other curators have fixed the problem for that profile. Thanks!

Yes, you are correct about the parent conflict. The merge seemed ok for Karen as her spouse and children were ok, and showed that it was the same person.

I believe the source of the parent conflict is that the old "Trondenes Bygdebok" by Trygve Lysaker lists Karens father as Hans Mikkelsen at Halsebø (according to a transcript of the book that I have, I do not have the original book myself)), while the newer book "Folk og Slekt i Trondenes" by Bjørkenes & Jensen (which I own a copy of) lists Karens parents as Hans Karstensen and Beate Henriksdatter.

It would seem that two secondary sources are in contradiction, which may be the source of the parent conflict. Generally I would in this case tend to give the newer publication a high credibility, as several people collaborated to produce this new publication and have used the older one as a starting point.

I started myself some time ago to look into primary sources, but I did not right away find the obvious one source to conclude what I would consider to be correct. I started a line of argumentation using the sources available to me, but I really need to check in more detail some of my notes before I would dare a conclusion myself.

Unless someone provides a ready answer here, I may try to put together some arguments myself. In any case it will take a few days before I can get back on this.

Jan Ove

1/26/2012 at 3:33 AM

Thats's fine, Bjørn

I didn't see your last comment before I posted.

But your answer puts the tree in line with "Folk & Slekt i Trondenes".

I think that's a sensible thing to do.

Jan Ove

Private User
1/26/2012 at 3:45 AM

The area is filled with such errors, so if you want to start fixing them please use the "View newarby merge issues" under tha Actions menu on one of the profiles.

Example:
Elida Berntine Johnsdatter

1/26/2012 at 4:07 AM

That particular profile is set to private, so i cannot see the problem, nor can I see any information to correct. I guess that problem will have to be discussed and resolved by the closer relatives.

Anyway, thanks for the "view nearby merge issues" function. I have seen it earlier, but will use it more often if I see that I can help sorting out issues.

Private User
1/26/2012 at 4:18 AM

Sorry, - I did not notice that the profile is private (I have family group access to one of the managers), but there is classical parent conflict.

One of the fathers name is Elias, which a person with knowledge of patronymic names would exclude as a father if a Nordic woman's patronymic name is Johnsdatter ;-)

Anyhow, we need all the help we can get in solving such problems, but I have to spend some time in other areas.

Private User
1/26/2012 at 4:24 AM

BTW: What made me cut away one of the parent sets on Karen Hansdatter was that the mother would have been around 50 years old when she got her, something that was very unlikely in 1751. She did however have a daughter named Karen Hansdatter born in 1739.

1/26/2012 at 4:50 AM

Agree to your reasoning on Karen. From what I recall, my own reasoning went in the same direction, however from a different angle, based on ages in the 1801-census and at death, etc..

7/30/2012 at 9:03 AM

After our discussion in January, someone has been active adding a couple of new spam images, see
Mads Johnsen, Kanebogen
and
Beate Henriksdatter

I would appreciate your help in removing the spam images.

Private User
7/30/2012 at 10:15 AM

Done

7/30/2012 at 10:48 AM

Excellent!

Private User
7/30/2012 at 11:01 AM

The parent conflict mentioned above are still unresolved...

7/30/2012 at 11:36 AM

Unresolved? Do you mean that the disconnect previously made (see above) may not be right?

Private User
7/30/2012 at 11:43 AM

Elida Berntine Johnsdatter still have a parent conflict. A man named Elias is obviously not her father since she is named Johnsdatter, but I don't have access to see any details on him to be able to find sources and add a new daughter if this is a bad merge and move eventually children over to her.
Someone with family access and knowledge of the line have to resolve this

7/30/2012 at 11:57 AM

Aaah - still same problem for Elida. She is set "private" for me as well, so I guess I cannot do much now.

7/30/2012 at 1:15 PM

Further spam image problems:

Johanna Karstensdatter

Isak Tollefsen

Malena Nilsdatter

Anders Karstensen

Ingeburg Jens Backsens

The last on the list seems like a rather weird name/profile to me. How did this get into this part of the tree?

Private User
7/30/2012 at 2:07 PM

Enig i den siste, - må være ett resultat av en feilmerge også da Hans Karstensen bare var gift en gang, og ikke med henne.

8/1/2012 at 12:04 PM

Jeg har tatt meg friheten å slette linken (ekteskapet) mellom Hans Karstensen og Ingeburg over. Om noen protesterer, så håper jeg de kan hoste opp noen kildehenvisninger som kan underbygge denne forbindelsen, før vi eventuelt knytter disse sammen igjen.

Showing all 21 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion