Colonel Ninian Beall - Ninian Beall history

Started by Helen Cawyer on Saturday, March 10, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 9 posts
3/10/2012 at 3:36 AM

Ninian information has one "typo" - the name in Fifeshire should be Largo with an "L" not Sargo with an "S". Also, there seems to be some controversy as to whether or not he was actually born there as there is no documentation that has been located so far.
I googled some Scottish information on the Battle of Dunbar in 1650 and found a list of officers taken prisoner by Cromwell and sent to Barbados. There were some six or eight cornettes, as they were spelled, but no Beall, or Bell, or Beale on the list.

If Ninian was a Beale of the Maidstone Beales of Kent, England, as the coat of arms originally indicated in the Caleb Magruder booklet indicated, he may have possibly fought Cromwell in the Battle of Maidstone in 1648. I could not find a list of prisoners from that battle although it is quite possibe that they also went to Barbados as that island was used for the housing of many of Cromwell's political prisoners.

I made an error myself in calling Mary (Polly) Moore, Nininan's wife: it should have been Ruth. Sorry - not too sharp at 3:00 am.

3/10/2012 at 9:38 AM

Thank you for your keen eye. I fixed it. Wow, I haven't looked at this profile for quite awhile. I have not been actively participating in my genealogy research for awhile. I need to tidy up some of my/husbands other relatives as well. There are quite a few managers now for the Colonel. I guess there are many relatives out there. Anyway, thanks again for your help. I appreciate it. Hopefully this summer or fall I can get back in the game.
Paula.

3/10/2012 at 12:10 PM

Yes, thanks Helen. I noted that was also mis-typed in the "About".

The "About" is currently simply a combination of what was in the various profiles as they were combined (merged) ... it would be great to move all of that to a document (and attached it to the profile) and replace the "About" with a more compact, yet complete, summary. (There is a fair amount of redundancy in the "About" at the present time.)

Additional true 'Source' materials would be good, too (as opposed to the compilation references which I noted earlier in this discussion).

3/10/2012 at 12:39 PM

re: "... noted earlier in this discussion ..." should be "... note in this other 'Ninian' discussion here: http://www.geni.com/discussions/102128 ..."

3/11/2012 at 9:33 AM

Thank you Dan, for all the information; it is really good to have it all in one place and easily accessable.

3/11/2012 at 9:43 AM

I have a book published by the Jr. League of Washington DC some years ago that has three pages of Ninian Beall. It shows a map of the areas that he owned orignally incl. Bealls Levels, Georgetown, and the acreage that eventually became the Arboreatum. I would be happy to fax or email copies from this book to anyone interested. I also shows a copy of his signature which is spelled "Beall" It is packed away right now so I cant indicate the publishing date, etc. but will be sure to include that in the package.

3/11/2012 at 2:22 PM

Perhaps, Helen, it might be easier for you to directly add them as Sources to the Ninian profile. When you click on that tab, there will be some small text below the tab which says "Add source" ... click on that to bring up a panel which shows the current "source" documents. At the bottom is the text "Add a New Document" which you can click to start the sequence to upload the document -- and noting the 'provenance' of the document (author, date, publisher, etc) will be helpful.

Getting copies uploaded will be helpful for future investigators & other 'curious' folks.

10/1/2017 at 5:07 PM

I found Documentation where Alexander Graham Bell did research on family. Maybe this will help I posted several stories and monuments on his profile I found. Hopefully this will help in researching him further.
Billie

12/3/2019 at 4:32 PM

I see in the Publication
The Original Scots Colonists of Early America. Supplement 1607-1707
It states Ninan was in Worcester Battle most resources I seen Has him in Dunbar Battle the dating ancestery has on him being taken to Barbados inconsist with ships and suggest Most likely he served in Dunbar Battle. Just wanted to make note of this. Doing more research on information about Red legs in artical.

Also found reference to Red Legs. Had to do bit research on this cause time periods didn’t fit right. In articles I found it does mention Cromwell so has anyone come Acrossed this term used with Ninan Beall stay in Barbados.

Many of the Redlegs' ancestors were forcibly transported by Oliver Cromwell consequent to his Conquest of Ireland. Others had originally arrived on Barbados in the early to mid-17th century as indentured servants. Small groups of Germans and Portuguese were also imported as plantation labourers.

http://www.popflock.com/learn?s=Redlegs

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion