• Private User
    Geni member
  • Private
    Geni member

Related Projects:

Showing all 18 posts
4/17/2012 at 6:48 AM

Hello everyone... who can help?...
In the context of the project on the 'Order of the Golden Fleece', I stumbled upon the first Irish knight, appointed in 1763. But, information on him is extremely scarce on the internet, which is bizarre because he seems to be one of the first recorded millionaires in history! He is said to have been 'from Brussels' - and his family may have been 'exiles'.
My question... who was this man, what were his origins - and can we hook him up to his ancestors?

OK, here are some facts that may help...

He must have been the same "Charles Ogara" who was a general and the 'Grand Ecuyer' (Grand Equerry) of Anne Charlotte de Lorraine in 1752 (she was the sister of Franz Stephan, emperor of the Holy Roman Empire between 1745-1765). Actually, Anne Charlotte died in Mons (Belgium) in 1773, and he may have been part of her court there. The reason why this must be the same Charles O'Gara, is because our Count received his Golden Fleece knightship from the same Emperor Franz Stephan, in 1763.

Some source mentions that he was a direct descendant of the 'Mecaenas of the Four Masters'. Other references... There was a Friar O'Gara, writer of Irish poems, who was an exile in Brussels and alive in 1670. Perhaps there was a whole O'Gara family, exiled in Brussels in the 17th century?
A possible close relationship may be Oliver O'Gara, who commanded the O'Gara infantry regiment in the service of France, mid 18th century.

That's about it. Thanks for any help in finding our man :-)

Private User
4/17/2012 at 7:02 AM

George it could have something to do with the original spelling of the name, have you tried Ó Gadhra ?

I will have a look this evening and see can I find more
have you tried here ? http://www.ucc.ie/celt/online/T100005E.html

4/17/2012 at 7:59 AM

Thanks! Actually, I found another one... Maximilian Ulysses Browne. In his context, I read that many families were exiled after what's called Tyron's Rebellion'? I read that it's also called the Irish Military Diaspora (it's on Wikipedia). That can well explain why some of these military men ended up in the service of other countries (and even made it to the Golden Fleece).

4/17/2012 at 8:03 AM

Because of the families some of these men married into, I can put their profiles on Geni. I'll post the profiles here, so that any volunteer can then further look into the Irish ancestry :-)

Private User
4/17/2012 at 8:10 AM

Aha, Ulysses from the Carlyle letters? An ancient Catholic family in Ireland, very interesting, I will try to spend sometime to help you with this

4/17/2012 at 9:09 AM

Also added... Francis Patrick O'Neillan. Here one profile where you find them (work in progress)... Maximilian Ulysses, Reichsgraf Browne

4/18/2012 at 1:59 AM

Another interesting one... Josef Franz Wallis, Freiherr von Carighmain.
His 'von Carighmain' title became a noble title in Austria, and is actually derived from Carrickmines, Dublin. In fact, his last name Wallis is derived from Walsh (the Walsh of Carrickmines). I found good sources to link him all the way up to his 15th century Carrickmines ancestors.
Interestingly, one Theobald Walsh also went to Austria, but then went to England, where there is a long descendence as well. In other words we have connections here from Dublin all the way into English and Austrian (nobility) trees.
I'm really wondering whether someone shouldn't start a project on the Irish military diaspora, because the impact on trees all over Europe could be important. (There's something similar with Scottish military and the Netherlands (I think we discussed that a long time ago).
Thoughts?

4/18/2012 at 2:03 AM

Another one (just so that these profiles get attached to this discussion thread...)
Franz Moritz, Graf von Lacy

Private User
4/18/2012 at 2:05 AM

No problem, at all, I am currently muddled by my newly installed evernote and note fuser, but will take sometime later to have a look I promise

Private User
4/18/2012 at 6:53 AM

You might contact Maura Ó Gara at
maura@webspider.ie

Joe Kelly

4/18/2012 at 7:19 AM

Thanks Joe, I will!

Private User
4/18/2012 at 7:26 AM

Just passing through hope this helps

The O'Gadhras, or O'Garas, were another branch of the Clan-Kian, or
race of Kian, youngest son of Olil Olum, King of Munster in the 3rd
century.

1696 Queen's Dragoons under the command of Colonel Oliver O'Gara.

Oliver O'Gara married Lady Mary Fleming, had 4 sons.

The 3 elder entered the Spanish service.
The 1st died with the rank of Brigadier;
The 2nd was Colonel of the Regiment of Hibernia
The 3rd was Lieutenant-Colonel of the Regiment of Irlandia, and
The King of Spain rewarded him with a Commandership in
the Order of Calatrava.
The 4th, born at St. Germain-en-Laye in 1699, was baptised,
in the "Chapelle du Chateau Yiel" there, as Charles, "

Colonel Oliver O'Gara managed to situate his sons, in a manner, as
suitable to the respectability of their origin. After an introduction, for young Charles to Leopold, Duke of LoiTain. Charles was appointed 1st Equerry to Leopold's 2 sons, and, when the elder son became Emperor of Germany, Charles was created an Imperial Councillor of State and Chamberlain,Gi'and Master of the Household to the Princess his sister, also became Knight of the Golden Fleece. Charles was made a Count, and died without issue, at Brussels, late in 1775

Pretty sure the monk you spoke of is Rev Fergal O'Gara, poet, a member of the same clan.

Information stolen from:
HISTORY OF THE IRISH BRIGADES, IN THE SERVICE OF FRANCE,
FROM THE REVOLUTION IN GREAT BRITAIN AND IRELAND UNDER
JAME3 II., TO THE REVOLUTION IN FRANCE UNDER LOUIS XVL
BY JOHN CORNELIUS O'CALLAGHAN..
there is alot of info here also:
The Annals of the Kingdom of Ireland by the Four Masters, translated by O'Donovan
http://celt.ucc.ie/search.html.....ttfn

4/18/2012 at 7:36 AM

Duck, I think this must be it! :-)
So, Charles O'Gara seems to have been extremely close to the highest powers. Which could explain that he became rich (would be nice to fin out why - and I would almost expect that the answer is in Brussels).
The dates are totally consistent, as most knights of the Golden Fleece got their appointment late in life (except for 'royals', who were virtually born with it).
Indeed, the fact that he died without issue probably explains the lack of records: no marriage, no children, no other connected families.
BTW, I really think we need a special project around these scattered Irish families :-)

Private
4/18/2012 at 4:07 PM

Does this help? I quote: "Count Charles O'Gara whose nearest relative as Mac Donagh, while the Plunkets also claimed relationship with "the old man". Talking about Rose Plunket daughter of Lord Dunsay here I think.
Read it in a preview of the Bio Graphical Dictionary of Irishmen in France, or ad Duck says: information stolen from.. ;-)

4/19/2012 at 5:19 AM

Thanks, Jennie!
Joe, I just spoke with Maura - quite impressive! It confirms the info from Duck. Plus, I got a few more clues - because there must be O'Gara descendants in France and Spain but they are 'missing'.
I'm seeing hundreds of O'Gara on Geni, but none before the 19th century. I think we need someone to take the O'Gara under his or her wing. Maureen O'Gara tells me that the O'Gara and O'Hara share a common ancestry.
Thanks all for your help!

Private
4/19/2012 at 2:29 PM

In the territory of Galenga, which gave its name to the present barony of "Gallen," in the county of Mayo; and in the north of Tirawley (now the barony of Tyrawley), in the same county, about five miles north of Killala, the Jordan De Exeters founded in 1274 the Abbey of Rathbran, or, as it is now spelled, "Rafran". The Galenga territory here mentioned comprised the entire of the present Diocese of Ardagh; and included the patrimonies of the families of O'Hara and O'Gara. The name, or its anglicised form "Gallen" (which was as recently as 1537, called "MacJordan's Country"), derived its appellation from Cormac Gaileang, to whom the Irish Monarch Cormac MacArt, in the third century, granted that territory. Cormac Gaileang, who was son of Teige, son of Cian, son of Olioll Olum, was a relative of King Cormac MacArt; and was the ancestor of the O'Hara and O'Gara septs.

4/20/2012 at 10:02 PM

Thanks, Jennie! Now that I start reading a few things, I'm really impressed by how thorough the Irish have been in recording their history throughout the ages.

4/20/2012 at 10:07 PM

BTW, thanks to the information supplied by Maura O'Gara, I was able to connect the 'elusive' Charles O'Gara, Count O'Gara into the tree - I found an existing profile to whom he's related. There's obviously a lot of ancestry for him to add - as there is for other related families like the Taaffe, Fleming, O'Conor... Personally, I'm looking into connections for them in other countries, as I'm particularly interested in the spread of these Irish military into continental nobility lines. For instance, I'm suspecting a connection with the basque family 'Garcia Ogara', with living descendants, married into other families. Interestingly, the order of the Golden Fleece provides a 'red thread' that runs throughout all these families and helps to find these connections, Europe-wide.

Showing all 18 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion