The Maternal side

Started by Sherry Parker Rieger on Thursday, May 31, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 9 posts
5/31/2012 at 7:50 AM

I know geni follows one's path through the paternal side. Is there any way to see if there is a path through my maternal side. Through my mother and not my father. Will I have to create another profile and start with my mother or is there another way?

Private User
5/31/2012 at 12:16 PM

Geni does not favour one side or the other. Geni will take the shortest route between yourself and a nominated person. In your case it appears that your father has more appropriate connections in the World Tree.

To display connections from people other than yourself is a Pro feature.

5/31/2012 at 3:02 PM

Thanks for the information.

5/31/2012 at 3:26 PM

Thanks Ken, but I need to clarify the Pro feature:

1. Any user can do a path search, anchored on themselves or someone else (using the green push-pin, as described in this help page: http://help.geni.com/entries/458560-how-to-find-other-people-s-rela...), and can see the description of the relationship, if found. This means Sherry can use the push-pin on her mother, and do a path search to whomever to get back "23rd cousin" or whatever.

2. Only paying users (Pro or Plus) can see the full path with all the people in-between.

Hope that helps!

6/1/2012 at 9:29 AM

Thanks Mike

6/1/2012 at 9:41 AM

I tried the push pin method. It seems even if you do this..the program still follows the path through from my mother through my father...not through her father or mother.

6/1/2012 at 10:57 AM

These path searches will first look for a cousin relationship, so if it's returning a path through your father, that almost certainly means Geni wasn't able to find a path through your mother's ancestors.

cheers,

Mike

Private User
11/23/2021 at 7:03 PM

I'm having the same problem as Ms. Rieger. It seems to be a problem of the algorithm-because I know for a fact that my mother is blood related to an ancestor that apparently has been reached through my father as well...which makes no sense.

Private User
11/23/2021 at 8:15 PM

Your mother's line on Geni only goes back to her parents.
The path on Geni is based on the connections on Geni.
You cannot expect Geni to use connections that have not yet been entered.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion