Souders genealogy

Started by Robert Souders on Friday, June 1, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 2 posts
6/1/2012 at 3:48 PM

Hello again.....

As a quick follow up, my family are the direct descendants of the "Original" immigrant Jacob Souter of Lancaster County, PA and whose will was written in 1733, proved in 1737. Strong evidence indicates that he was born in Hirzel, Switzerland.

Jacob had two daughters, Maria and Susanna from an unknown first wife.

Jacob married Ann Groff and had three other children: John (Hans in the 1733 will) and from whom my family descends, Ann, and another son Jacob.

It is not proven in any documents to date and strongly doubtful by DNA testing that this younger Jacob is NOT the Jacob Souder 1734-1819 in VA.

6/3/2012 at 9:33 PM

Hi Robert, My wife and I have been traveling in Alaska and Canada for the last few weeks, and I haven't had time to respond. I agree that Jacob Sowder of Virginia (born 1734) is probably not descended from the Jacob Souder of Lancaster, PA. However, recent DNA testing of his verified descendant in Virginia indicates that he is of the Hirzel, Switzerland, blood group. What connection might exist between these two Jacobs seems lost in time. I am aware that earlier DNA tests indicated no connection between the Virginia and Pennsylvania Jacobs, but I suspect that the subject tested was not really a descendant of Jacob Sowder (born 1734) of Virginia. There is a lot of confusion in the "Souders" line as two fundamentally different families moved from Virginia to Tennessee and then Indiana. Maybe we can work together to unravel this mess if possible?
I haven't updated the "Project" with the latest information I have acquired, but I hope to get around to it by September. I have a lot of things going at this time. I'll be traveling to Missouri to care for some properties I have there in a couple of weeks, and then I'm going east where I will visit my sons in VA and MA. Subsequently, I'll take one of my granddaughters on a trip through Pennsylvania, the midwest, and on to Texas. I won't have much time to refelect on family history until late summer.
My email address is grgruner@gmail.com, and my telephone is 925-291-2538 (cell phone is 805-296-8616, which I depend on while traveling). Please send me your email address or give me a call.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion