Lots of duplications in Documents

Started by Erin Ishimoticha on Saturday, June 2, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 6 posts
6/2/2012 at 9:37 AM

I wonder if we can make the documents count not include duplicate documents? For instance, Private User is listed as number 1 because he uploads a new copy of each document to each profile involved, like the 12 copies of a single 1881 census page he uploaded recently to 12 people mentioned therein.

6/2/2012 at 2:26 PM

I don't see how it would be possible to differentiate between documents uploaded separately. Just having the same name is not enough, because I know a bunch of sites that when you download, just give the same name to the document every time.

6/2/2012 at 2:27 PM

I wonder why Philip does that. Does he not like the tagging feature? Have you talked with him about it?

6/3/2012 at 9:43 PM

Jadranka, that's not true. I have a Died Young image with hundreds of tags on it. Eric, I have not tagged him. I only became aware of this when going over your top 10 lists. I thought 18,000 documents sounded impossible, since I myself am a self-described document junky and don't even have 2000 yet. I bet I have 20,000 document tags, though.

As an aside, I do wish "number of profiles managed" wasn't part of this page. Several of the top ten, especially including myself, did not acquire management of our profiles in the usual channels (either creation or inheritance of profiles of a close family group member who left), and I think profiles created is a much better measure of how much one has added to the big tree than profiles managed.

6/4/2012 at 6:39 AM

Is there a list of the people who used a script to gain management of profiles? Maybe we should identify those. Not sure if disqualifying them from the list makes sense, because they may qualify anyway. And it would also be useful to know who the people are who manage the most, regardless of how they got management.

Private User
6/4/2012 at 12:30 PM

at least we could try to avoid double uploads of internet-URL, but I really wouldn't know how....

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion