Static numbers in Project Description

Started by Liivi Murumets on Saturday, June 2, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 15 posts
6/2/2012 at 10:05 AM

The project description includes quite an amount of numerical data that is manually entered. Would it be possible to use API to access live data to keep it updated?

6/2/2012 at 10:54 AM

If so, that would be great. But I have no idea how to do it. !!

Private User
6/2/2012 at 3:46 PM

Livii voluntered to do it?

Private User
6/2/2012 at 5:14 PM

Joke aside, it should be easy for GENI to do it

6/2/2012 at 5:23 PM

if they wanted to . . .

6/2/2012 at 7:22 PM

Luckily for me, I am yet to discover any "API for Dummies" instructions. Fancy ideas is all I have. And this project
http://www.geni.com/projects/World-Family-Tree-Facts-on-Geni/9203. Only a few MPs have geographical data added to the profiles, so mapping all popular people would be a challenge anyway.

6/2/2012 at 7:26 PM

If Google would stop changing THEIR location API it would be easier to map ... :)

Private User
6/2/2012 at 7:42 PM

Liivi, almost all of the profiles I look after have valid location on them, and that includes most of other profiles entered by users I collaborate with which could be in hudreds of thousands. I do not know why you think they dont have that info

6/3/2012 at 10:09 AM

Jadra, are you saying that it would be a piece of cake to design an app to produce some graphics (charts, maps, etc.) from data available in http://www.geni.com/popular?

Private User
6/3/2012 at 3:03 PM

Livii
any data you can access from Geni can be used to produce something

Private User
6/4/2012 at 12:14 AM

Liivi, - if you are a C# programmer using for example the Html Agility Pack to process the 20 popular profiles pages to extract the rank and profile GUID's does only require a few code-lines. I have done it several times on other Geni web pages, and in one example with only two statements. With the profile guid you can use the API to access profile details and process them in the way you want (for example generating CSV files for further processing in for example excel unless you want to implement charting yourself).

Private User
6/4/2012 at 5:26 AM

Hey Bjorn, how do you do an export with C#?

Private User
6/4/2012 at 5:38 AM

I want to do an export of the first 15 generations with detail info.

Private User
6/4/2012 at 7:58 AM

C# is a programming language, so you have to develop your own program connecting to the API using OAuth desktop authorization, traverse the tree in 15 generations and write some code to export the data as CSV date or if you are loading into a datagrid use the export functionality there.

http://www.geni.com/platform/developer/help

Private User
6/4/2012 at 12:12 PM

Hey Bjorn, thanks for the tip, I am actually a SQL Server developer myself, but I'm just curious, do you have any example code that you could post or email me? Email is matthewcoxinvest at/@ gmail dt. coom. Something like just downloading 15 or 30 generations or so, for a particular ID into a text or excel file would be nice. The downloads they have here, either get too few or too many rows.

Thanks,
Matthew

Showing all 15 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion