Merge Requests - more or different options wanted for response

Started by Private User on Monday, July 30, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 16 posts
Private User
7/30/2012 at 4:55 PM

David - still working on this. Bear with me and see if below answers any of your questions. (note - I would like to see Geni develop to the point where Geni could be trusted to observe the decision not to merge even if I confirm it is a match - do not feel we are there yet)

Unless I could be sure Geni would never force the merge if you explicitly said the two were a match but rejected the merge, I would just have the third option be "This merge is rejected".

The effect it would have would be to block the merge, the same as if I clicked "No, the two are not a match" - But instead, there could be a message attached to the two Profiles saying "XXX, [manager/family member] of Profile AA has rejected the merge of it with Profile BB". Any blue circle / pending merges would then be eliminated. The message could be at the top of the Profile, or have a different symbol (blue triangle or green circle or what-have you on the tree, instead of the Blue pending merge circle which, when clicked, gave the message - but did none of what a pending merge does to the selection of profiles shown in tree view - each tree view would be as if no pending merge)

If I could be sure Geni would not turn around and force the merge if I admitted it was a match - which ideally I would like to be able to count on, but we are not there yet - then possibly the choices would be a) approving the merge, b) saying they are not a match OR
c) I reject the merge, even tho I do not know whether they are a match [you may not care - why leave folks thinking it might be accepted if you had more info or that you hadn't looked or etc]
d) it is a match, but I reject the merge.
c) and d) would have the same effect as "This merge is rejected" discussed above, only difference being in the message attached to the profile.

Rejecting the merge because one is not willing to merge is something I am seeing as to be done by Manager or someone in the Profile's Max Extended Family -- not analogous to the situation now where any Pro, even tho no connection to the Profile, can click that they approve the merge / approve the match.

Private User
7/30/2012 at 5:06 PM

For folks wanting to see where this discussion broke off from - my first response above was to http://www.geni.com/discussions/111399?msg=806580 - next is to Mike's comment right after that. you can also read comments higher up on that page for that lead up to this, if interested.

7/30/2012 at 5:25 PM

Lois, what about "No don't merge" then a note in BOTH About Me sections to identify the duplication and explain your reasons?

Private User
7/30/2012 at 5:35 PM

Alex - are you suggesting ADDING a choice of "No don't merge' OR of CHANGING one of the choices to "No don't merge"? Currently that simple option of saying "No don't merge" does not exist.

7/30/2012 at 5:36 PM

1] No, Geni does nothing when you click "I'll decide later"
2] Then just click the "No" button - I support Alex's idea of putting a note on the profiles explaining why they shouldn't be merged, or better yet letting a curator do it with a Merge Note.

Private User
7/30/2012 at 5:36 PM

Missed a bracked - so deleting and re-posting comment to Mike (originally my second post)

Mike Stangel - You said " I use "I'll decide later" when I don't want to merge but don't want my decision to affect others' decisions."

1] If you click "I'll decide later" does Geni know / record there has been a response? (This is important vis a vis folks so furious / upset / irritated by Managers who fail to respond to Merge requests. - especially those suggesting actions that should be taken if no response)

2] I am talking about a decision that I want to be the deciding factor, that I want to result in the merge being rejected just as much as if I had said they were not a match.

7/30/2012 at 5:40 PM

Lois,
Sorry i will correct myself:
"Choose "No, the two are not a match" then add a note in BOTH About Me sections to identify the duplication and explain your reasons?

You have described this as "lying" previously which IMO is a little OTT.
I don't disagree that another button could be added, i'm just suggeting a work around.

Private User
7/30/2012 at 5:42 PM

Ah well - see Mike saw and responded as I was correcting. Sorry for making a mess of this.

Mike - There is no "No don't merge" choice currently. Currently only way to say No is to say they do not Match. If I tell a Curator they match but I do not want to merge - whether because I want my privacy or I do not like how that manager does things or whatever - then what happens?
And why should I have to lie?

Private User
7/30/2012 at 5:50 PM

Mike - can curators put Merge Notes on private profiles or only on public profiles (MPs)?

Private User
7/30/2012 at 5:53 PM

Clearly there is no option at the moment to say "I agree these are a match, but I don't want to merge the two, and I want it recorded that I agree they are the same and that I don't want the two merged".

I think this is what Lois might be proposing, but I am not sure. I am also not convinced that this is something worth having.

Private User
7/30/2012 at 5:55 PM

Alex - think I may have figured out what "IMO" or "OTT" mean. But - Could we please stick to English for those with abbreviation-impairment?

As long as Geni agrees they will not merge Private Profiles without Permission, I prefer to just ignore. Since nothing is done if click "I'll Decide Later", clicking the Back Arrow or leaving the Screen some other way does not have any different effect from clicking "I'll Decide Later" so I will stick to that.

I am bothered by having to say something which is not True. I do not see how it benefits Geni to encourage folks to do so. Moreover, thinking about it now, TOS says something about not entering info you know is false (if you know it is a Match, case could be made at some point that is what clicking it is not a match amounted to; which makes it not only offensive to me but possibly dangerous to my continued membership on geni).

Private User
7/30/2012 at 5:57 PM

Can I qualify what I just wrote to say that if you have edit access on the profiles, you can write that text in the About of the profiles - just as you can write more or less anything else.

I think a lot of merging is done from tree view or tree matches, without reading About sections. If more About sections were read before merging, many (but not all) bad merges could be avoided.

Private User
7/30/2012 at 6:52 PM

According to http://help.geni.com/entries/472609-what-is-the-difference-between-... - when you do not have permission to request/complete the merge, the choices are “Yes, request to merge” and “No, remove match”

BUT when you do have permission to complete the merge, the choices presented to you are “Yes, merge these profiles” and “No, they’re different.”

Not sure if the Question at the top also varies or is the same.

7/30/2012 at 6:53 PM

"Are these profiles of the same person?" should be quite easy to change to "Do you want to merge these profiles?"
It wouldn't need any change to the program just displaying different text.
The progression would then be:
"Do you want to merge these profiles?"
a) "Yes, merge"/"Yes, request merge"
b) "No, remove match"
c) "I'll decide later"

It would be good if (b) triggered a notification to all managers and anyone who had requested the merge.

7/30/2012 at 6:57 PM

Re: curator note Mike & David mentioned

This refers to a blue additional text box that "floats" above a profile.

Here's an example from a little work in progress

Capt. George Dabney

1. There are 256 characters available
2. HTML linking is supported
3. As with all curating scope, can only be used on public profiles
4. It is not necessary to also make the profile MP
5. As with anything on the curator menu, I will gladly copy & paste suggested verbiage on request. Can't speak for others but I think the "curator please assist" discussion is a good place to request a "merge note".

7/30/2012 at 7:09 PM

Actually reword (c) also to "I don't want to decide now." which removes the current implication that you will make a decision in the future.

Showing all 16 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion