Rev. George W. Fisher

Started by Private User on Monday, September 24, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 17 posts
Private User
9/24/2012 at 9:08 AM

If anyone can uncover the parents of Rev. George W. Fisher, they will be entitled to not one, but two Scooby Snacks. Many thanks!

Private User
9/24/2012 at 2:19 PM

Victar, what have you tried so far, so that I'm not stepping in your footprints?

Private User
9/24/2012 at 2:21 PM

If you have a look at the about section, you can see all the sources we've found.

Private User
9/24/2012 at 3:25 PM

OK - will check and see if I can add anything. I'm getting better at KY files all the time and I have a cousin who lives across the river from KY that has vacation in a couple of weeks. Since she "had" no plans, I'll give her a project.

Private User
9/24/2012 at 5:03 PM

If you are working with Chris Fisher Thiessen, I don't see how I can find anything she had not already found. Everywhere I look I see her name. She is on every bulletin board for Fisher/Fischer and for various KY and IL counties.

I would suggest she go through this e-book with a fine tooth comb, to see if she can any clues to George's parentage. Fisher genealogical history by Gertrude Fisher Harding, published in 1890's. She can find it here - http://archive.org/details/fishergenealogic00hard. if she can find the names of his parents or his Fisher grandparents it will be much easier to find his birth.

This family came from Germany to the US and lived in Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia and Ohio in addition to Kentucky.

USGenWeb has partnered with the State of Kentucky for excellent genealogical information at http://www.kygenweb.net/. I'll be looking there next, but really need the previous generation's data for a successful search.

Private User
9/24/2012 at 5:26 PM

Victar, here's the problem --
From the KYGenWeb site:

Kentucky marriage records are available beginning in 1792 with statewide registrations beginning in 1958. Birth and death records were kept sporadically from 1852-1910 by individual counties and cities. Statewide birth and death registration began in 1911.

Private User
9/24/2012 at 8:30 PM

Yep, as Hatte said, it's a though nut to crack. Thanks for the suggestions.

Christine Fisher, tagging you in this discussion.

9/25/2012 at 6:30 AM

Maria.
Thank you so much for the suggestion! I will go through the e-book with a "fine tooth comb." (As a former school nurse, I know the true meaning of that phrase!)

9/25/2012 at 6:36 AM

I am intrigued by the description of Rev. G. W. Fisher in the Shelbyville Seminary Memorial, as having "dark, earnest eyes, overshadowed with heavy brows, and with a stentorian voice that thundered law and gospel to arouse sleepy sinners to repentance".
Surely he had been educated somewhere along the way. He was poor, yet he knew enough to teach "the law and gospel" to others. I have searched for years to solve this mystery for my family,without success.
Thank you both so much for your help.

Private User
9/25/2012 at 7:14 AM

Yes, something irks me about knowing a person as well as we know Rev. George W. Fisher, but still not knowing anything about their parents.

Private User
9/25/2012 at 8:57 AM

I wish I could have done more. Like Victar, this is going to bug me for some time. I'll check back if I have any more ideas or suggestions. And, of course, now there is reticular activation. Every time I see Fisher, I'm going to think about our mysterious George W and see if there are any connections.

Private User
9/25/2012 at 10:25 AM

Sorry to inflict this upon you Private User =S. I hate/love a good mystery too. Christine Fisher, just ordered this record, which I'm hoping gives a little information on him as a preacher.
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/show?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fcatal...

Private User
9/28/2012 at 12:59 PM

Private User
I have some relatives of my own that somehow showed up in America with no parents, no birth data, anything. I only know about them once they do something (buy land, get married, etc.,) that creates a document. I still don't know how or when my mother's mother's ancestors got here from ireland, just that one of them fought in the Civil War. That's where his history starts.

Christine, let us know when the document you ordered arrives. I'm very curious to see what it says.

9/29/2012 at 6:52 AM

I have gone through the e-book and found nothing that I can connect to my Rev. G. W. Fisher.
The very first paper document I have found on him was his marriage in 1834 to Nancy Hibler-Simmons in Shelbyville, Illinois.
I have searched all documents related to his son Samuel M. Fisher to determine Samuel's middle name. "M" is all I have ever found. I have no idea and my father (1901-1969) had no idea.
I will let you know when the record from Family Search arrives.
Thank you for your help and interest!

Private User
9/29/2012 at 10:01 AM

Christine Fisher, where you able to get around to calling the Freemasons Shelbyville Chapter?

9/29/2012 at 12:32 PM

I sent them an email and received this reply:

Thank you! I will take care of this as soon as possible.
Fraternally,

Frank Cline, Grand Secretary

Grand Lodge of A.F. & A.M. of Illinois

I have not heard anymore. I will follow up next week with another email or call if I do not receive a reply.

Private User
9/29/2012 at 12:53 PM

Great!

Showing all 17 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion