Lettye Aggar Elliot and Lettice (Unknown) Coombs

Started by Hatte Anne Blejer on Wednesday, October 10, 2012
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
10/10/2012 at 10:51 PM

I think that two families may have been confused in some Internet trees. One is the family of the well-known Apostle to the Indians, John Elliot. His mother was Lettye Aggar or Algar who married Bennet Elliot. They lived first in St. John Baptist, Wilford, Hertfordshire, England where their first two children were born and then in Nazeing, Essex, England where their youngest three children were born.

The other family is that of Lydia, the wife of Rev. John Miller, both of Ashford, Kent. Some give her last name as Elliot and some as Combs or Coombs and others as last name uknown. There are few reliable sources about her ancestry that I could find. However there are some trees on the Internet who claim that her mother was Lettice Coombs and her father was John Coombs.

Further, some sources, notably LDS sources seem to have decided that there must be a connection between Lettye Elliot and the hypothetical Lettice Coombs. They each had a daughter named Lydia, although the one was born in Nazeing, Essex and married James Penniman. The other was born in Ashford, Kent nearly 100 miles away and married Rev. John Miller.

Can anyone find reliable sources for a connection between these two families?

10/10/2012 at 10:53 PM
10/10/2012 at 10:55 PM

Private User, you curate some of these profiles. Erica Howton, you always known trust-worthy sources.

10/11/2012 at 7:24 PM

I worked today on the well known Coombs family - Francis Coombs who was married to Deborah Morton and Mary Barker and had a daughter Lydia Miller who married a man named John Miller, III of Middleboro.

I suspect that this is the data that led to later genealogists getting confused about the surname of the Lydia UNKNOWN who married Rev. John Miller.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion