William Barsham - A member of the Artillery Company of Mass.?

Started by Private User on Saturday, March 23, 2013
Showing all 7 posts
Private User
3/23/2013 at 3:00 PM

Hello --

I'm researching my ancestors to find those who were members of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts. William Barsham was one of my 9th great-grandfathers. In searching the list of original members of the Artillery Company ( http://wdahac.org/ ), I found mention of one William Barsham, but it says "see 'Burcham'." Under William Burcham, it says "BURCHAM (Barsham), William 1644".

I looked in the standard history of the Artillery Company, "The History of the Military Company of the Massachusetts, Now Called the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts" (Vol. 1) by Oliver Ayer Roberts, and in the biographical section on members, the listing for William Burcham simply states "William Burcham (1644)". (Source: http://books.google.com/books?id=VycMAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA187&lpg=... )

The convention the book uses is to list the date in which members were "proved" (officially joined). Our Wm. Barsham's dates of 1610-1684 fit very nicely with that time-frame; he would've been 34 in 1644, which is certainly a likely age to be a man at arms of the time.

Interestingly, an on-line genealogy of "The Ancestry of Edmund Everett Flood" says this under the listing for John Capen: "born on 21 Oct 1639 at Dorchester, Massachusetts. (Source: http://home.comcast.net/~davidwilma/family/flood0009.htm ) Capen married Susanna Barsham, daughter of William Barsham and Annabella, on 19 Nov 1662 at Watertown, Massachusetts." This John Capen, another 8th great-grandfather of mine, was a confirmed member of the Company, so our William Barsham was the son-in-law of a member of the Company. That's suggestive, if not definitive, that our William was also a member.

Can anyone shed any light upon whether or not our William Barsham is the same "William Burcham (AKA Barsham)" recorded in the Company's rolls? Any help would be appreciated.

--Robert Haines

3/23/2013 at 5:07 PM

http://www.cyberancestors.com/cummins/ps03/ps03_151.htm

"Came to New England in the Winthrop Fleet about 1630. Served in the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company in Boston, 1644. Was a selectman 1653 and a sealer of weights and measures."

It looks like the compiler is quoting from a Great Migration / Preserved Puritan sketch. And of course the Anderson team will have the underlying reference (I'm sure the same book you found).

In this case it's not the fact in dispute, or source quality - it's interpretation ("do we have the right William Barsham")?

Private User
3/24/2013 at 12:06 PM

Erica -- Thank you for the reply, and the information. Since other sources list this particular William Barsham as having served in the AHAC, I now feel quite confident in concluding that he and the "William Burcham (Barsham)" listed by the AHAC as having served, are indeed the same person.

3/24/2013 at 12:46 PM

I did some work cleaning up the Barsham tree yesterday - down tree there should be a connection to my own Mass / NH families if I can find it - and that also gave me, I hope, some insight into whether it's possible there was a different "William Barsham or Barshum" this could have been.

Now I can't address the question of whether there was an unrelated family of similar name (yet). But within his own family he is the only possibility. Only his son John had sons (a grandson William), who would have been much too young for this reference.

3/24/2013 at 12:49 PM

Oh and you'll see I also added him to the Passengers of the Mary & John 1630 project, based on a "likely" citation & knowledge that the passenger list for that ship is only partially extant.

Private User
3/24/2013 at 8:46 PM

Thank you, Erica!

Since you're the curator of his entry, would you mind adding him to the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Massachusetts project?

3/24/2013 at 8:55 PM

Duh! I meant to do that. :(. What a wonderful idea for a project.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion