Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 86 posts
Private User
4/2/2013 at 4:35 AM

Here we can post our questions or ideas in English.

4/2/2013 at 2:21 PM

Thank you for this portal, Karol & collaborators. I have ancestors that emigrated from Galicia to New Orleans, Louisiana.

Private User
4/3/2013 at 12:49 AM

You're welcome! As a matter of fact, part of my ancestors came from different Galician parishes (Dębowiec, Żmigród and Sieniawa). I think now I know a lot about them, but yet it's quite a mystery. :)

Private User
4/3/2013 at 9:32 AM

Thanks for the invite. I have ancestors from Stany located in the Podkarpackie Yolvodeship, Poland.

Private User
4/11/2013 at 3:24 PM

Private User If at all possible, I would like to bridge the language gap. There are about 20 million people who claim Polish ancestry that live outside Poland. Many of them live in English speaking countries. At the same time, there are about 38 million Poles. There are stories and information to share, but it can be difficult when one group does not read or write the other group's language. Relying on Google or Bing can take you only so far. Geni has translated all their forms in Polish. Can any of these forms be modified to use as a basis for communications? Do people have any other ideas?

Private User
4/17/2013 at 10:28 AM

Hello Karol,
Thanks for the invitation. My Polish ancestors are from the Galician region near Husiatyn, just south of Tarnopol. This region is now Ukraine.

Private User
4/18/2013 at 11:04 AM

I am working with Kaszubian Poles who came to the Central United States starting in about 1855.

4/18/2013 at 1:00 PM

Great to see you are back, Larry!

6/2/2013 at 5:40 AM

I have created a project for the Polish side of my family tree and have added to the projects list in the hope that someone will eventually be able to fill the gaps.

Private User
6/15/2013 at 12:46 PM

Looking for information on Grandmothers family. She was from Chojnice /Czarniz / Brusy. Her father was Josef Piekarski. Ihave no information other than what I just put down. She was born in 1875 and died in 1953.
Please help
Ray Brunka

7/14/2013 at 9:15 PM

@ Erica Howton
I also have ancestors who emigrated via Galicia.
They are name Wyszynski, and Gorkowska-(Gorecka). Gułaszewska, Uszynski. Any familiar names?

7/15/2013 at 2:54 AM

Not to me, but listing the surnames you know is very helpful to anyone researching (also geographic areas in both Europe & Americas). I've found connections later on from posts like yours.

Private User
7/30/2013 at 3:08 PM

Very much interested in Bernatowicz, Lisowski, Łatak, and Pilecki families from what was eastern Poland (within present Belarus and Lithuania).

Particular brick walls I'm running into are:

Kazimierz Łatak (probably born 1820-1860 range)

Adam Pilecki (probably born 1840-1880 range, likely while his parents were exiled to the Barnaul region of Siberia following the January Uprising of 1863-1864)

Józef Bernatowicz (probably born 1820-1860, had a son also named Józef Bernatowicz, lived near Oszmany in the wojwodstwo wilenskie)

Władysława Lisowska, who married the younger Józef Bernatowicz above, born in 1925 in the same region (supposedly descended from a szlachta family).

Most of these will probably come from the countryside near Wilno (today's Vilnius in present Lithuania, previously part of Poland). Despite present day geography, the descendants of these people consider themselves of Polish ancestry.

Any help, resources, suggestions, would be definitely appreciated. -Ben.

Private User
7/30/2013 at 3:11 PM

My mistake on Wladyslawa - 1925 is her death date. We don't have her birth date, though it's probably in the 1860-1885 range.

Private User
8/23/2013 at 1:20 AM

Also looking for the ancestors of Michał or Michael Rawski, who was born in the village of Lyubinskiy in Omskaya Oblast of the Russian Empire in 1869 (Aug. 14), to a family of Polish exiles, probably from Lublin.

Also trying to track his wife's ancestry - her birth name was Katarzyna or Catherine Geisen, born in Lublin in 1879 (Nov. 14). Both relocated to New Hampshire around the turn of the century.

Again, any help, resources, or suggestions would be appreciated. -Ben.

10/8/2013 at 5:02 PM

@ Miche Thomas (Soberowski), This is my great grandfather on my fathers side of the family. I found that he and his wife Paulina migrated from Poland around 1880 to escape persecution. I found a home town of Gerda gruntu Development Wynajen (or m) Lokal near Warsaw Poland about 60 miles south. They migrated to Allegheny County in Pennsylvania and around 1816 they changed their last name to Thomas. They have two children born in Poland; Ladislaus (A girl) and Frank. Three children born in Pittsburgh, PA, Joseph, Tillie and Ronssel. I am looking for their parents and any brothers and sisters. Joseph is my father's father. The Cunninghams married into the Thomas line. Maybe this is where they decided to change their last name?

Richard Dosiak
10/22/2013 at 4:29 AM

Thankyou for the invitation, I hope I can help
in some way.

Richard Dosiak
10/22/2013 at 4:43 AM

I am looking for any information regarding the Dosiak line and especially where my own originated. My father new little as his father died when he was
young, circa 1921. I have my fathers birth record from Stahlavy near Plzen
Czech republic, but who grew up in Krakow. That is a long story in itself.
Great grandfather was from Tlumacz/Halicz region actual town of
Klubowce now Klubivtsi in Ukraine. Cousins in Drohobycz and possible
relatives from Bolechow??? Very muddled information. Papers suggest
my father was born Greek Catholic and not Roman Catholic as I had supposed. Grew up as a Polish citizen of Poland and was in 3rd Heavy
artillery in WW2. Thanks, everyone

10/23/2013 at 10:00 AM

Thank you for the invitation! I hope this will help me find out more of my mother's ancestry - the Trudzinski's and the Marczewski's.

10/23/2013 at 6:51 PM

hello i dont know much about my fathers family he came to america in 1950 i was born 1956 he had sister stella and lucy all born in warsaw his name is Tadesuz S Fiolek

Private User
10/24/2013 at 1:56 AM

Hello Krystyna,

I believe the proper first name would be Tadeusz (at least original one given at birth in Poland).

Best wishes,

KW

11/3/2013 at 4:41 PM

Hello everyone. Thank you for inviting me to the group Karol. I would like to say thank you to Stanislaus for all the help he has given me already. I hope to find out much more about my family from Poland. Both living and those who have passed. I hope some day to visit my ancestral home. We've discovered they came from the Leszno, Brusy, Lipusz and Piechowice area in Kashubian Poland. I've seen already some of you are cousins. I hope I can add to this group and will help when I can. Please check out my tree if you get the chance.

Private User
11/4/2013 at 3:13 AM

Welcome Joseph my 9th cousin once removed! Jan Aubracht Prądziński is our common ancestor. I hope someday we could trace our roots further - so far I'm not well experienced with researching noble families..

11/5/2013 at 6:27 PM

With Stanislaus's help, my family history in Poland is only a recent discovery. 8 months. I have yet to find out any details about them. Hope we can all help each other out. I found a 5th cousin in Gdynia, near Gdansk. She doesn't seem to know much history either, but does speak with Stanislaus. Maybe together we can all discover more. Hope to hear from you again cousin.

Joe

11/6/2013 at 12:01 AM

I'm happy for anyone to help with my Lipinksi tree as there is a big disconnect between the generation of the 1700s and today. I'm sure I have some cousins in Poland however I don't have enough information to add that far down the line. The furtherest I can go back on the Lipinski side is 4th great grandparents however I can go back to my 7th great grand parents on the Szyeman side. Both sides are from around Gdansk.

Private User
11/14/2013 at 4:47 PM

Karol my Polish family is from Lubon, Czarna Dabrowa, Bytów, Dziecmiarki (Dzicimiarek), Klecko/Gniezno, Wielkopolskie, Kiedrowice, Bytów, Pomorskie and Siemianowo, Dziekanowice Parish, Gniezno Archdiocese, Poznan, Poland for the most part.
Names are Hapka, Breska, Superczynski, Tomaszewski (spelled several ways), Pradzinska and Lipinska and several others.
My relatives who left Poland settled in Chicago, Illinois and Pierz, Minneapolis, and Little Falls, Minnesota a few other areas before heading to the west coast of the USA.
I am most interested in researching the Tomaszewski side of the family at this time.
Hope I can help others and they can help me with extending my research with "sourced referenced connections". I do not just add names to my family tree without solid documented sources.
Thank you for the invite.
Diana Ayers

12/1/2013 at 10:22 AM

Laskowski Family.
Searching family of Marianna Laskowska (cr 1867), daughter of Jakub (James) Laskowski and Marianna Bana-Laskowski.
Marianne Laskowska married Ignacy Gurkowski on 2 March 1900 in the village Dobrzenice Big parish Mochowo, residing in Grand Przeradzu

1/14/2014 at 2:20 PM

Thank you for the invite. have put my family genealogy on the back burner for a while now, You may have given me the kick to open up the books and search some more .

Private User
1/14/2014 at 2:51 PM

I'm glad to read that! ;) All the best with your research!

1/14/2014 at 3:54 PM

I found some information on the Zabriskie family to New Jersey (related to my grandmother Addie Cunningham. My relatives started with James Zabriskie (Soberowski) in Poland. They migrated to New Jersey and also to Pittsbugh, PA. The name has changed to Soberowski, Zaborowski and Zaborowska. They fled Poland-Germany in 1876 because of religious persecution. I cannot find any information on where they lived in Poland prior to coming to the US.

Showing 1-30 of 86 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion