Abigail Starks (Daniels) - Abigail Starks (Daniels)

Started by Ervin Stark on Wednesday, May 15, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 13 posts
5/15/2013 at 4:48 PM

Somewhere out there there's a news paper article where she talks about Joshua after he died.
I was talked about on roots.org or something like that a few year's ago and I can't find it now

Private User
5/15/2013 at 5:25 PM

Hey there, cousin. :) You had me all excited until I saw you mention RootsWeb! I always have the hardest time searching there. I wonder if someone else reading this can help us find it? I'll keep trying myself...that would be a great read.

One of my great genealogical wishes is to find out more about Abigail's parents, as well as Joshua Starks's mother, Cynthia Stark. There were two women named Cynthia Dickerman Stark living in southern Vermont at the same time...go figure. Way too easy to confuse them.

5/30/2013 at 12:27 PM

I was wrong about roots.org it was http://genforum.genealogy.com/stark/messages/530.html http://genforum.genealogy.com/stark/messages/530.html originally posted by Robin Stark.

Another post by Robin in 1999-Cousin!!! I bet we are looking at the same had written account of GG Grandmother, Abgail (Daniels) Stark. See my posting under "RE: General John Stark
Relatives" of this date. I'm in possession of my Uncle Walt's correspondance with the Blood's/Dorr's/Shaw's - all descendants of Joshua. Would you be part of this line? I've created a family tree with the information that I've gathered. I'd love to share my information with you and add yours to mine. I have over 400 entries to date, but can't get that Benjamin/Gen. John connection either.

5/31/2013 at 9:06 AM

That above is just where I heard about the newspaper article still have not found it ...but looks like robin may have more info but the post is so old......

Private User
5/31/2013 at 9:42 AM

Yes, I sent her a message but it bounced back. I'm curious to know if his obituary was truly printed in Jamaica or if it was in the Reformer, Banner, or Herald, since one of those would be far more likely.

I think her theory about Gen. John Stark can't be accurate, since he was from Ireland. If he really was Joshua's uncle, it might be on the maternal side or as an in-law, and it might be a great- or great-great-uncle. I've put a cal in to the Jamaica historian to see what's up.

Back to Abigail: I've found a few descendants saying they have copies of a handwritten life story. Again, no one is replying to messages. Do you know anyone with a copy?

5/31/2013 at 8:48 PM

I don't know know of anyone but I'll keep looking

6/2/2013 at 9:56 AM

I think Gen. John Stark is not right as well I believe it is far more likely that Joshua may have told Abigail captain john stark (1841-1806) and someone remembered incorrectly ...just a thought

10/8/2013 at 5:58 PM

I am new here but I do have some documents that I have found:'
Vermont Phoenix August 19, 1910
"Mrs. Abigail Stark, aged 91 years, 11 months and 18 days died August 8 in the home of her daughter, Mrs. George Clarke.She was the daughter of Obadiah and Mary Anne Varney Daniels. She was born in Woodstock August 28, 1819. In 1838 she was married to Joshua Starks of Granville, New York A NEPHEW OF GENERAL JOHN STARK OF THE REVOLUTIONARY FAME. Mrs. and Mrs. Stark came from New York to Winhall in 1865 and 2 years later to a farm in Jamaica where they lived until her husband's death in 1890. She was the mother of 12 children; 78 grandchildren; 61 great grandchildren and 4 great great grandchildren.

10/8/2013 at 6:00 PM

another document I found:
Vermont Phoenix May 23, 1890
Jamaica
"Joshua Starks is very ill with heart trouble and not expected to live.

10/8/2013 at 6:10 PM

another document found:
Onondaga County, New York
July 15, 1840
Jemima Start, a resident of the town of Elbridge in the said County, aged 80 years on the 25 August next..that she is the widow of Nathan Start, a Revolutionary Soldier...he was a private in the State militia of Pennsylvania and was at the Battle of Wyoming in 1778,,,soon after his return from Wyoming, he together with his father's family removed from Wyoming to the town of Gran Ville in the county of Washington and state of New York...She was married to the said Nathan Start on the fore part of June in the year 1782 by Elder Jones a Presbytarian clergyman in the town of Gran Ville in the county of Washington state of New York and that her husband Nathan Start died on the 19th September 1812 at Gran Ville."
(Nathan Start's wife was Jemima Farnsworth, her sister, Patience, named Jabez Spencer) etc. etc.
Pension application for Jemima Start

Private User
10/8/2013 at 7:29 PM

Cynthia Joan Newton, welcome to the discussion! Thanks for sharing. Where did you find these, if I may ask?

There is a handwritten account of her life out there, of which some descendants have copies, but I still cannot track down a copy of it. It's one of my great genealogical wishes.

I do wish I could figure out the origin of the Gen. Starks myth.

Private User
10/8/2013 at 7:31 PM

Also: Are you a descendant, Cynthia?

10/9/2013 at 5:15 PM

Thank you for the welcome Ashley! I am a descendant as follows..Edith Stark/s was my grandmother..she was the daughter of Allen J. Starks who was the son of Milo Starks all of Fort Ann, Washington County, New York. I believe Milo's father to be Isaac Starks who was born and died in Granville, Washington County, New York. Fort Ann and Granville are small towns that border each other. Joshua was here too but left. Just started looking into this side of my family..hoping to go meet with my grandmother Edith's brother's daughter very soon as she is in her 80's.
As far as the newspaper clippings, I found them by googling Vermont newspapers and went thru 100's of pages. The partial pension file I saw posted from Clovis. She is awesome with the Starks!! My very busy life has hindered my passion for genealogy but research at least online any free moment I get...lol..hooked line and sinker for the past 15 years but mostly on my Howard line as well as my husband's family and mothers descendants as well...

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion