Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 7 posts
Private User
5/28/2013 at 9:28 AM

Do you mind indicating your sources?

Private User
5/28/2013 at 10:32 AM

I don't have any sources...I just copied them from some other family trees..Will remove the names if you believe them to be incorrect.

Private User
5/28/2013 at 12:41 PM

By the way, I have found a French site called: Frenchy Habitant, that lists the surnames found in Montherme, & amongst the "M"s is: Maree.(1 example found)..I think this is is modern Montherme..This seems to indicate that was the name (& spelling) of our ancestor...As usual with many SA names there is a variety in the spelling adopted...But it does seem that was the original spelling in France too. Now this is not a French name, (or spelling)..so either our ancestor came from somewhere else that has that spelling..ie Flanders or the Netherlands, or it had been changed from another name at an earlier date..

Private User
5/28/2013 at 12:59 PM

Following on: The name Maree is unusual in France, & may have come from further north....But I have since discovered it in the Montherme area in the 17th-19th century...I don't know the origin, but it is a name found in Montherme!...Some people write it as Marée.....

Private User
6/6/2013 at 3:44 PM

Hi Danielle, no need to remove anything. I also have this name, I am just trying to get it confirmed. Ignace, the progenitor signs his own name as "Marre", his children all as "Mare" or "Maré" and somewhere in the 3rd generation one line becomes "Maree" from what I can tell. The "Maree" in Montherme is interesting indeed, but the spelling "Marée" is fascinating :)

Private User
6/6/2013 at 4:14 PM

Hi Paul. it is certainly confusing all these different spellings!...I think the same surname was sometimes spelled differently in the past, which doesn't help us now!...I think the accent over the e, (é) might just have been the French way of writing this name, to fit in with the way it was pronounced..I'm sure it's the same name though, with or without the accent...I would love to be able to go back further with the family..They intrigue me! ....Glad the Paul Mathieu thing is settled..For the moment, anyway!

Private User
6/7/2013 at 1:39 AM

So until someone makes the source public, I think we should think of Paul and Germaine as "candidate parents" for Ignace. my family always held that his father was called Paul, but considering that Paul was the most common name for oldest sons in my line, it may have been just wishful thinking.

Keen to see if/when we find prove...

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion