Grouping Documents in albums

Started by Private User on Sunday, June 16, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 8 posts
Private User
6/16/2013 at 11:17 AM

Dear Geni,

It would be nice if we could group documents in albums the way photos are grouped.

Just mentioning.

6/16/2013 at 11:35 AM

There are document "collections.". Not as nicely worked through as albums, I agree, but can be worked with ...

Private User
6/16/2013 at 11:42 AM

Yes, I like the document collection but it is a bit overwhelming when you reach a certain number of documents. I group pictures by surname, and I think it would be awesome to be able to group documents in that same fashion.

6/16/2013 at 12:02 PM

You know, they're working on using different kinds of technologies to "match" documents with profiles. (I'm digressing your thought from the imaging technology). I wonder what they can come up with in the future to sort, group, "attract," classify, documents. Your album analogy is a really nice one I hadn't thought of.

Private User
6/16/2013 at 3:54 PM

Thanks, I try and keep photos of the woman whom take on husbands name in the group to the era of the last name at the time the photo was taken, so if it was there birth name I place it there...if it was taken during the marriage time, then I place it in the album belonging to the taken name. I think it would be awesome if Geni figured out a way to tag not just your relatives but neighbors in photos. I have photos of my Great-Grandfather Nanny, who is listed as house servant in the Census report. And other photos of family friends, sometimes...the only name on the back is of the nonrelative. Which makes sense since if the photo is family possession you would only not recognize the non-family member, but it is a pity if the photos have been passed down and you were to young to remember when you were told who they were!

6/16/2013 at 4:25 PM

There's a lot they do now with photo recognition. In the Geni albums I think there's an "identify" tool so if you know a name, you can try to match with the face ... Or just list it, maybe in conjunction with the census document. That's getting 3 dimensional!

Private User
6/27/2013 at 5:49 PM

Erica, it would also be nice if Geni allowed shared albums. When a sibling adds a photo, they should be able to add it to the same album I would, since they are grouped by surname.

6/27/2013 at 6:08 PM

I was thinking the "family group" would let you see but I'm getting your point - to order albums by different groupings, not just "my albums."

For public profiles you can use projects. You can also of course tag the same image to multiple profiles, and create a timeline event, add profiles to it - and it show on all.

Showing all 8 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion