John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster - He is my 16th Gt Grandfather Erica

Started by Ann Farley on Monday, June 24, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 22 posts
6/24/2013 at 7:14 AM

Very impressive relationship as he stood very central in history in his time. Ann

Private User
6/24/2013 at 7:49 AM

John of Gaunt is my 18th Gt Grandfather--16 times over.

6/24/2013 at 7:49 AM

Hes my 19th great grandfather.

6/24/2013 at 8:23 AM

John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster is my grandson's 18th great grandfather.

Private User
6/24/2013 at 9:03 AM

John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster is my 17th great grandfather.

He had a very interesting Coat of Arms, it displayed his kingship over Castile and León, combining the Castilian castle and lion with lilies of France, the lions of England and his heraldic difference

Private
6/24/2013 at 9:05 AM

He is my 20th great grandfather.

6/24/2013 at 9:09 AM

John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster is my 20th GGF, through my Halford-Crockett-Stewart lines.

6/24/2013 at 9:22 AM

John of Gaunt is my 17th great grandfather, John is also a descendant of the GREAT GENGHIS KHAN,

John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster

Philippa of Hainault, Queen consort of England
his mother

Jeanne de Valois
her mother

Marguerite d'Anjou, comtesse d'Anjou et du Maine
her mother

ÁRPÁD(házi) Mária
her mother

KUN Erzsébet of the Kumans, Queen consort of Hungary
her mother

Kotian / Kuthen / Köten Khan of Cumania
her father

Suthoi Khan, Of Kumanien
his father

Genghis Khan (Temüjin) Borjigin, Khagan of the Mongol Empire
his father

6/24/2013 at 9:50 AM

John is my 19th great-grandfather. Nice to know too, that I'm descended from Genghis Khan.

6/24/2013 at 11:42 AM

John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster is my 17th great grandfather.

6/24/2013 at 11:44 AM

We share another ancestor Danny Drollinger!

Genghis Khan (Temüjin) Borjigin, Khagan of the Mongol Empire is my 25th great grandfather.

6/24/2013 at 11:59 AM

He is my 17th great grandfather!

6/24/2013 at 12:45 PM

He is my 16th GGrandfather AND Ghengis Khan is my 24th

6/25/2013 at 4:34 AM

John of Gaunt was my 16 x great grandfather and quite stunning.
By his 3rd marriage to Katherine Swynford I am descended from their son John Beaufort 1st Earl of Somerset, and onwards from John Beaufort's daughter Joan who became Queen Consort to James I of Scotland.
A few weeks ago at a special ceremony held at St Paul's Cathedral I was sworn in as a Churchwarden of a well-known Anglo-Catholic London parish church...even more relevant given the fact I am Roman Catholic. Yet the fact this was happening in St Paul's Cathedral where John of Gaunt was buried made the occasion even more special. His name is mentioned on a special monument listing all those all tombs were lost in the Great Fire of London of 1666. His 3rd wife's father, Sir Payne de Rouet is also mentioned as having been buried there.
John of Gaunt was like the rest of his country men and women a Roman Catholic. When he was buried St Paul's was a Roman Catholic cathedral and his burial would have according to the Catholic rites accorded to a nobleman.
England was then a Catholic kingdom which made the event I took part in so personal and special.
The Anglo-Catholic church I am part of within the Diocese of London practices and upholds ancient Catholic traditions such as the Sung High Mass and use of processions, incense, and Veneration of the Virgin Mary and celebration of Saints and Martyrs almost as if the Reformation never happened.
It is a church that John of Gaunt would recognise and has the full support and appreciation of the current Lord Bishop of London.
I feel so privileged to have a family connection to John and St Paul's cathedral at the same time.
Stephen R Johnson

6/26/2013 at 6:26 AM

I am John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancasters 19th and 18th great granddaughter thr his daughters Elizabeth and Joan. As well as his son John Beaufort

6/26/2013 at 7:36 AM

John of Gaunt, 1st Duke of Lancaster is your 18th great grandfather.

6/26/2013 at 9:31 AM

Carrie could be right, Bill. Geni only traces the shortest path. Mark Anthony is my 50th and 57th great grandfather, but Geni had to be tricked to show both paths. I forgot the trick though.

6/26/2013 at 10:28 AM

You have to follow the tree down untill you find the merge then go back up the tree on the different line. Time is all it takes. hope that helps

6/26/2013 at 10:36 AM

Actually that's the hard way. You can have Geni do it by using nearby relatives; but I don't remember which buttons to push.

6/26/2013 at 11:03 AM

John of Gaunt was through his 3rd wife Kathryn Swynford the brother in law of Geoffrey Chaucer (married to her sister). Chaucer of course gives us modern literature in an English vernacular.

He really is a gateway ancestor.

6/26/2013 at 12:03 PM

I always know what button to push it is just usually the wrong one... Ha

Private User
6/27/2013 at 3:20 PM

I'm very impressed with this relationship.
Maria do Carmo

Showing all 22 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion