Smart matches

Started by Magnus Eriksson on Thursday, July 25, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

7/25/2013 at 3:59 AM

I really like the new smart matches indication of what information that is possible to import from MyHeritage and WikiTree. It has helped me to rapidly extend the tree. This is a wish list to the developers for further features

Opinions?

ALREADY CONFIRMED MATCHES
I have already confirmed lots of smart matches before the indicator was available, and I have not imported all data from them. I would like to see the nice green smart-matches indicator for the already confirmed matches as well, showing me what kind of data that can be imported from MyHeritage and WikiTree. For example in a separate list tab. And also at each profile page. At least until I have marked tha match as "solved" or "incorrect".

MORE FIELDS
I also miss the following information in the indicator:
1. Sources that are possible to import.
2. Occupation info that can be imported
3. "About"/"Biography" field that can be imported

The ideal solution would be an automatic import tool, similar to the tree merge data conflict solver tool. One column for each confirmed match, and one row for each field, where I easily can compare the information, and click to import data from MyHeritage to Geni. Including source.

U.S. CENTRIC RECORD MATCHES
The record matches is very U.S. centric. There are records in countries all over the world, and some of them are free to use. Perhaps people from different countries can help suggesting URL:s for good free records. For example, famous historical persons have records in various Wikipedia language versions.

FINE-TUNING THE ALGORITHM
The smart matches algorithm should be fine-tuned. I have noticed that the smart matches feature not always finds obvious matches at myHeritage, and finds way too many obviously incorrect matches within Geni.

QUALITY CONTROL
Geni is quantitatively the best tree in the world, but not qualitatively. There is a risk that Geni will aggregate even more incorrect relations from unreliable MyHeritage sites. The smart matches feature indicates what info to add, but not what info to remove or check up further. Any ideas on features that may improve the reliability of the tree, and warn us about data conflicts and unreliable relations? Should we vote for which MyHeritage sites that are considered reliable or often are inccorecct? Would an indication of how many other sites and sources that support a certain relation help? If all children in a family are supported by sources except one, maybe we should check that relation up or at least provide a source. Sources has been the way to improve the Wikipedia reliability, and would also be next step fro geni.

Often we add {FICT} to the name of a person that is considered fictional or muthological by today's researchers. Two persons may however be considered supported by reliable sources, but their relation is questioned. We need a way to manually indicate that a relation is considered fictional or unreliable.

/Magnus
Sweden

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion