Mary Barrow - Birth

Started by Lisa Craig on Sunday, July 28, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 4 posts
7/28/2013 at 8:05 PM

Wedding documents says she was born in 1827 making her 15 when she was married. However, the only birth record that seems to fit lists her birth date as August 9, 1826. Perhaps she was not allowed to marry unless she was 15 so they lied?

Private User
7/29/2013 at 12:52 AM

Does the document tell the year 1827 or does it only tell her age when married?
If only age you should remember that the year is just estimated based on the date for the event and it can fail with plus/minus one year depending if the real date is in the beginning or end of the year.

7/30/2013 at 7:11 PM

This is what I get for posting at 11pm! If she was born in 1827 she would be -younger- than if born in 1826 so it wasn't to make her older!

She was born in October and the wedding was in February. Maybe they provided her age at the time of the wedding, 15, (she -would be- 16 in October) and the clerk just assumed she was therefore born in 1827.

Private User
7/30/2013 at 11:38 PM

I would guess that when asked for your age it is only the age that is written in the original papers. When those papers are transliterated, for example by the LDS site familysearch they, for search purposes I assume, enters a year instead, very often with a result like this.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion