Daniel Lee and Daniel Lee and...Daniel Lee?

Started by Private User on Thursday, September 5, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts
Private User
9/5/2013 at 9:34 AM

This is how I got interested in this Project. I was sorting out the lineage of Winchester Civil War diarist Mary Greenhow Lee, "Devil Diarist" (one of a group of women popularly referred to as the "Devil Diarists of Winchester" because most of them were Confederate in sympathies and harshly critical of Union occupation - which, admittedly, was often abusive).

Her husband, Hugh Holmes Lee, was the son of Daniel Lee - and at that point I hit a snag, because someone had merged two profiles that did not belong together.

Judge Daniel Lee, of Winchester was the father of Hugh Holmes Lee, as well as George Hay Lee of Clarksburg, WV, Susan Ann Lee Burwell, Marie Antoinette Lee, Laura Lee (another of the "Devil Diarists"), and others. He is the one who married Elizabeth Lee of Williamsburg - and both of them are buried in Mt. Hebron Cemetery, Winchester.

Daniel Lee of Ohio is, as far as I know, no relation. He married an Elizabeth (birth name possibly Nicholson, but not of the Williamsburg Nicholsons), and moved out to Tuscawaras County,Ohio, where he and his wife raised a large family, died, and are buried.

Rather annoyingly, it was Daniel of Ohio who had traceable direct-line male descendants to the present day, one of whom contributed to the Lee Surname DNA Project. According to the DNA results, *that* Daniel Lee is of the same Y-DNA haplotype (I1a) as the Richard Lee/Anne Constable line, but not a close enough match to be a direct-line connection (possibly a collateral relative somewhere a good ways back).

No DNA results are available for the line of Daniel Lee of Winchester, and tracing his line in either direction presents considerable difficulties. Hugh Holmes Lee left no children at all. George Hay Lee left a fair-sized brood by two wives (especially the second wife - and BTW that second wife has farked up the information available on Ancestry.com, because they assume that she was his *only* wife and that he must have been reasonably close in age to her - he was of course much older). However, one son died young, one never married, and I haven't been able to trace the other two (yet). At least three of the daughters got married, one of them to a distant relative of Stonewall Jackson(!), and left traceable descendants. I have not been able to satisfactorily identify, let alone trace, any other sons of Daniel Lee. (When I have some free time in the Handley Library Archives, maybe....)

As for his parentage, that has been indecipherable (so far). What is known is that he was probably born c. 1777, lived in Woodstock, VA for some time before moving to Winchester (circa 1806), and may or may not have been born there. Shenandoah Valley historian John Walter Wayland accepted the popular belief that he was "of the eastern Virginia Lees" (meaning the Richard/Anne line) but had no further details. For that matter, some of the Lee family themselves shared this belief, or at least extended it as a courtesy to Mary Greenhow Lee. But even they didn't seem to know exactly what the connection was.

The "official book" (Lee of Virginia) doesn't list *any* Daniel Lees - but its errors and omissions have been noted elsewhere (e.g. William Lee and Anne Felton).

Then there's the line cited here:

............................. 4 Daniel Lee 1777 - 1833
................................... +Elizabeth Nicholson 1783 - 1856
........................................ 5 Henry Tucker Lee
........................................ 5 John Lee
........................................ 5 Lucy Peachy Lee 1804 -
........................................ 5 Elizabeth Sarah Lee 1806 -
........................................ 5 Mary R. Lee 1811 - 1903
.............................................. +Chaplin Swearingen Hedges 1808 - 1892
....................................................(descendants)
........................................ 5 Susan Anne Lee 1812 -
........................................ 5 Hugh Holmes Lee 1814 -
........................................ 5 George Hay Lee 1816 -
........................................ 5 Marie Antoinette Lee 1821 -
........................................ 5 Laura Lee 1823 -

Daniel Lee has been squeezed in under Henry Lee II and Lucy Grymes, but if there is any documentation for that, I would like to see it.

I have been unable, so far, to identify any "Henry Tucker Lee" or "John Lee" as sons of Judge Daniel Lee (there was supposedly a "Rev. Henry *Lightfoot* Lee" who went from Winchester to New Orleans, and then to Baltimore, but I have found nothing on him either).

George Hay Lee's birth date has been given as early as 1806, with a consensus of c. 1808, making him older than Hugh Holmes Lee. He shows up in the 1860 Virginia and 1870 West Virginia censuses, and I was able to find a West Virginia death date for him of Nov 20, 1873. As noted, he left descendants, and then some!

Susan Ann Burwell married Philip Lewis Carter Burwell of "Carter's Grove", and had at least two children.

Lucy "Peachy" Powell married William A. Powell, and probably left descendants (need to check and confirm).

Elizabeth S. Cabell married Patrick Henry Cabell of the Winchester branch of that family (I don't think they hung around very long).

Cannot confirm Mary R. Lee Hedges. It sounds plausible but I'd like to see the documentation.

Private User
9/5/2013 at 4:13 PM

Caught up with Mary R Lee through that lawsuit her obnoxious husband filed - and what a piece of work he was! Over 20 years before he had sued his uncle over his brother's estate, and won.

Not exactly clerical behavior - maybe he was one of those hypocrites who "Do as I say, not as I do"?

Private User
9/5/2013 at 7:14 PM

Also caught up with Rev. Henry Tucker Lee - and yes, it was "Tucker", not "Lightfoot". Seems one or more of Mary Greenhow Lee's biographers got some bad information.

The reason he was so hard to catch was, he moved around. Graduated from VMI, went from there to New Orleans, ordained as a minister in New Orleans, spent some years there, went to Chapel Hill, NC, Society Hill, SC, and at some point Baltimore (assistant minister of St. Paul's Church). Spent his last few years in Berlin, VA, and died there Feb 17 1883. (Extracted from The Churchman, Volume &, p. 223, March 3, 1883.)

While in South Carolina he got married, possibly for the second (or third?) time, probably to a widow: Marion SC Star, 1874 Married on 14th inst. in Charleston, Rev. Henry Tucker LEE, formerly of Winchester, VA to Fannie Fraser, daughter of J. C. WHALEY of Edisto. May 6, 1874.

Private User
9/5/2013 at 8:54 PM

However, as far as Y-DNA studies go, he's another dead end - two wives, no children. :-P

Private User
9/5/2013 at 9:12 PM

And John Lee, son of Daniel, remains as elusive as ever.

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion