Padbury, England

Started by Janet Anne Petrak (Crawford) R1B on Thursday, September 12, 2013
Showing all 13 posts
9/12/2013 at 9:04 AM

I just noticed that Edmund Buck seems to have originated in Padbury, England and emigrated to Barbados. William Buck b. c. 1585 was also supposed to be from Padbury, England and emigrated to Massachusetts. Is there anyone from that area that can look at this and see if there is a connection?

9/12/2013 at 1:06 PM

Janet can you post links to the Geni profiles so we can look at possible connections?

(very interesting find)

9/13/2013 at 3:35 PM

Here is William Buck (which I am hoping like crazy is my ancestor):
William ‘the ploughwright’ Buck, of Cambridge

And here is Edmund Buck:
Edmund Buck, of Barbados & Plymouth Colony

9/13/2013 at 3:43 PM

I'd also like to put out a question of logic... What are the chances that a man of 50 would have only one son back in 1585? This has been a brick wall for a lot of people for a long time! A friend gave me a book called "The Winthrop Woman" by Anya Seton and it gave me some insight into the history of the time. It is about a man that decides to come to America with the Massachusetts Bay Company. He has one 'problem' son so he takes him with him so his wife won't be bothered while she is trying to take care of the estate, caring for the other children and packing up to move. That makes sense to me. And there is evidence that William went back to England "and William must have liked what he saw" returning to England and sailing back with his 'wife and family' on the Unitie (if only the record keepers had known what they were doing to us by not listing names!) arriving in September. I've had others argue that the timing wouldn't work but the Increase only took a month to travel from England to New England. So he could have arrived on the Increase in April, gotten Roger settled (he was a grown man at 18) and returned in, say, June or July. His wife would have had everything prepared for departure in August. I'd love to hear other opinions on this...

9/13/2013 at 4:49 PM

So what you're thinking about is whether Roger Buck, of Woburn documented son of William is related to the Edmund Buck, of Barbados & Plymouth Colony family of Scituate through a common Padbury England ancestor ?

Is there a Buck DNA project?

9/14/2013 at 10:50 AM

I think William and Edmund may have been brothers (b. 1585 and 1588 respectively). And I think William had more than one son. There are several Buck DNA project sites but I think they may all be connected. And they might be Bucks from Germany instead of England. Unfortunately I don't have any male Bucks left that I know personally. There are probably still some in Cobourg, ON, Canada...

9/14/2013 at 11:46 AM

Janet keep checking. I thought I read something a while back that disproved they were brothers.

9/14/2013 at 4:54 PM

No!!!! Oh well, I doubt if we'll ever know for sure... And I was wrong about living Bucks in Cobourg. Seems like the family died out there.

9/14/2013 at 5:15 PM

Padbury is in Buckinghamshire - commonly called "Bucks"

9/14/2013 at 6:26 PM

Terry do you by chance have a link to explore the Buck family of Padbury, Bucks? Genuki?

9/15/2013 at 9:40 AM

I had a quick explore last night and did not find any Bucks in Padbury... I wondered if the name may have been made up even?

I'll look some more.

9/15/2013 at 9:52 AM

You could request a search of Parish records here:
http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=bl...

9/21/2013 at 2:39 PM

Thanks Terry! I just sent off a request for William and Edmund and a 100 year search for good measure :-)

Showing all 13 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion