Started by Private User on Thursday, September 19, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing all 19 posts
Private User
9/19/2013 at 10:04 AM

Today is Talk Like a Pirate Day. Do you have any pirates in your family?

My 8th-great-grandfather is the pirate John Darvil, Jr..

9/19/2013 at 11:05 AM

Gráinne Ní Mháille, Sea Queen of Connacht

I don't have much of a path to her but hey maybe she's related to other pirates ... Or you ... :)

Private User
9/19/2013 at 12:26 PM

Not a direct path here, but she gets bonus points anyway since Gráinne is one of my favorite names. :) I went to school with a Gráinne and have always loved it.

Private
9/19/2013 at 1:22 PM

she's my first cousin 14 times removed's wife's first cousin thrice removed's husband's great grandmother.

Private
9/19/2013 at 1:34 PM
Private
9/19/2013 at 1:36 PM
Private
9/19/2013 at 2:09 PM

thanks for this Private User got my mind off the clean up project for a second

9/19/2013 at 2:34 PM

Jan Jansen van Harlaam is my 8th Great-Grandfather. Jan was the King of the Barbary Coast Pirates. He was known at the time as Morais Rai (sp.?). He was born in Holland in the 1500's and left at some time for Morocco, leaving behind a wife and 2 children. He converted to Islam and had several concubines. This is where my ancestor is from. Jan took many White Europeans into slavery in the Arab countries of North Africa. My ancestor worked in his father Jan's Pirate Empire until he went to Holland met his wife and then immigrated to New Amsterdam.

Private User
9/19/2013 at 3:58 PM

Mary, it took me a while, but I found your ancestor! :) Jan Janszoon van Haarlem, aka Murat Reis the Younger sounds like a fascinating character.

I have other direct ancestors who were Bahamian pirates, as shown through DNA, but I am still working out the precise paths on paper. I should revisit the Bahamian Pirates project and build more profiles in it.

Private
9/19/2013 at 4:19 PM

i could go on all day about pirates pretty sure i'm related to most of them but rather then drive you all crazy i'll stop for now.. Ha ha back to the trench work i go

Private User
9/19/2013 at 4:50 PM

Michael, are you directly related to any that you know of?

Private
9/19/2013 at 5:13 PM

Private User sent you a private msg..
I am related to several pirates.. not sure you could call 5th fifth cousin 11 times removed of sir henry morgan a direct link though..

Private
9/19/2013 at 5:14 PM

i havn't gone thru all the list of pirates but i'm sure a direct path exisits some where.. but I have my mind elsewhere right now.

9/20/2013 at 9:02 AM

Admiral Sir Henry Morgan is my first cousin 12x removed.

Private User
9/20/2013 at 10:45 AM

I have to have some connection to Thomas Walker, Capt. but don't know what it is yet. More incentive to work on Bahamian pirates!

Pirates weren't the only people profiting off ships in the Bahamas. "Wreckers" were men who swam out to wrecked ships and tried to salvage as much as they could. It was incredibly dangerous and men commonly died in the process. This speaks to the desperation of early Bahamians -- they were in such bad need of goods that they were willing to risk their lives to collect whatever they could.

Private User
9/20/2013 at 12:59 PM

Michael, thanks for your interest. Sorry if I wasn't clear. When I talk about connections, I indeed mean more direct, closer ones. I know how to use the relationship button on Geni, but thanks for your concern in showing me how. :)

Private
9/20/2013 at 1:11 PM

no problem i have yet as you said find any direct conections.. most of mine are like 2nd cousin and up.. thanks for the distraction from working on trying to undo a huge mess.

9/20/2013 at 2:15 PM

I am related to the Hawkins Pirates of Devon England. Sir John Hawkins William Hawkins and Sir Francis Drake

Private User
12/27/2013 at 11:04 PM

Theodore Birelski, who changed his name to John Robinson. Not a well known pirate but a pirate nonetheless.

Showing all 19 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion