Help with a Belarusian/Russian townname

Started by Daniel Laurence Lerner on Tuesday, September 24, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 4 posts
9/24/2013 at 12:47 PM

I am trying to identify the birthplace of my great-great-grandfather. The date of birth I have is September 1868. I have a British Certificate of Naturalization from October 1911, issued by Winston Churchill. Churchill notes my ancesestor alleges his is a subject of "Russia having been born at Vesockerletek in the Province of Grodna in September 1868". He was living in London, England with his wife and children at the time of the Certificate.

I am logically guessing that the "Province of Grodna" is the former Grodno Governorate of the Russian Empire (given the timing of the date of birth and the issuance of the Certificate) - now the Grodno province of Belarus.

However, I'm having a lot of difficulty trying to figure out what "Vesockerletek" refers to (I'm assuming I've read Churchill's handwriting properly). My best guess is Vawkavysk, Belarus (which in Russian was known as "Volkovysk").

If anyone is familiar with townnames in this area - and how the names may have changed from the late 19th century - I would really appreciate the assistance.

9/24/2013 at 6:00 PM

Private User any pointers?

9/24/2013 at 7:22 PM

Looks like Vysokaya which also appeared with the modifier meaning "Lithuanian". I can see that whole phrase getting garbled into Vesockerletek. "The Vesocker of Lita". suggest you consider that town and take a look at the Jewish Gen info on it.

1/23/2019 at 5:23 AM

Hello, my name is Yuri Ermolaev. I am russian historian genealogist. I think that I can help you - if you plan to look for any documents in russian archives.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion