Geni member
  • Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
    Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
Private User
10/3/2013 at 4:17 AM

Daughter Catherine is here given 1692 birth (1696 on another site). Gertien therefore probably born not much later than her older brother - i.e. c1679.

Map of the county Buren, Atlas Maior 1665 © Wikimedia Commons, PDM
Private User
10/4/2013 at 5:16 AM

Hi Robin:
Was wondering if you have any info on the circumstances of Gertien's birth.

According to the details in her father Abraham's profile the year he arrived in Philadelphia is the same as the year of her birth:
"Abraham Isaacs Op Den Graef, born Abt. 1658 in Krefeld, Germany; died March 25, 1731 in Perkiomen, Montgomery, Pennsylvania. He was the son of . Isaac Op Den Graef and 5549. Greietjen Pieters. He married. Trintgen Jansen July 23, 1679 in Reformed Church of Krefeld,

Birth also found as 1651, and death as Mar. 25, 1731.

Linen weaver. Immigrated with mother and siblings on the 'Concord' Jul. 24, 1683, William Jeffries, Master, arriving in Philadelphia on Oct. 6, 1683."

Did she come to the colonies later? or... Was she an infant on board the Concord?

What guides your assumption as to the guesstimate of her year of birth?

~ Mike vB

Private User
10/5/2013 at 9:34 PM

Mike, I don't know what you mean by "circumstances". A woman who had a daughter in 1692 is unlikely to have been born in 1683 or within a couple of years of 1683. She is likely to have been born earlier. Do you disagree with any of that? So we need to look at whose dates might be wrong and why.

The "ournetwork.net" page says of Gertien: "Birth about 1670 -- Krefeld". That's not well related to the parents' marriage year of 1679 - http://www.ournetwork.net/FamilyConnections/timeline.php?pids[0]=I1... - but we shouldn't judge too much from that. That site also suggests that we have less of a problem with Gertien's birth year even if we discount the "1670": her first child is "Susannah O. Adams ‎(I45643)‎ Birth about 1696 -- PA". That site doesn't seem to quote sources.

Descendant William Addams Reitwiesner is likely to have done careful research. But all that he said about Gertien was "Gertien op den Graeff
+ ... [before 22 Dec. 1726]"
with son William born " July 1705 ".

Maybe we should seek some answers from Private User, who added Gertien to Geni.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion