William Douglas, I - questions regarding this line..

Started by Private on Thursday, October 3, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

• Private
    Geni member
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member

Profiles Mentioned:

Related Projects:

Showing 1-30 of 39 posts
Private
10/3/2013 at 8:09 PM

Erica Howton Private User your call? when researching a totally diffrent douglas i came accross this

Private User
10/4/2013 at 3:28 AM

Michael, it will be a while before I can look at this (or anything else). Thanks for your patience. I'm checking discussions but just don't have the time for the tree right now. Feel free to keep me posted, though.

10/4/2013 at 4:29 AM

Michael personally I'm fine with you editing the basic data to a more likely Scotland birth place based on your source - just be sure it is referenced in the profile.

Private
10/4/2013 at 9:52 AM

i didn't expect you guys to have time to look at it.. figured you were both busy on other projects (chase recovery being one) as am i prepping for the new arivial. any day now.. Erica Howton can you troll around on google.. see if you can't find a work in progress or peerage is in dispute icon for this?

10/4/2013 at 12:24 PM

Michael I don't see what's in dispute here? His birth location is uncertain but that's an "event" detail to be noted in the overview by a profile manager (such as you :):). Your source reference is decent & the parentage seems "accepted.".

What am I missing about your question?

Private
10/4/2013 at 1:22 PM

the fathers side.. of Robert Douglas of Pittendriech is where the unknown should be put.. sorry for the confusion i should have been more spefic about where to stick that sign.

Private
10/4/2013 at 1:28 PM

basicly i asked for the work in progess sign so the mega experts can sort it out.. the parents of robert douglas were listed as not proven and son of unknown (not confirmed) which is why i asked that a temp sign be put up while some things are worked out

Private
10/4/2013 at 1:46 PM

i put a this is a educated guess about his peerage note and the url in the about me.

10/4/2013 at 8:44 PM

Well now this has some very glamourous potential - now I'm following the hush hush. :). We can always communicate by "casket letter" :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casket_letters

Let me get with June Barnes on it. But your sources look good.

Private
10/4/2013 at 9:06 PM

LOl good one Erica Howton took me a second to figure it out..
yes I've seen links on geni to suggest connections to james v and iv thru jean ross and others in that line.. thru one of his extra materital affairs.. but it was never proven...

Private
10/4/2013 at 10:05 PM

Mary Stewart, Countess of Arran James V, King of Scots geni says i am related to them but i think that the path will change possible with this data.. My route is thru Jean Ross but you never know...

Private
10/4/2013 at 10:50 PM

Private User? intresting read no?

10/4/2013 at 11:13 PM

Well I do have some bad news for you, Michael.

Deacon William Douglas, Sr. was born on 9 August 1610 at Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbright, Scotland; It is unlikely he is son of Robert Douglas of Pittendreich due to recent DNA testing. (1)

1) the Douglas Archives

As referenced here: http://our-royal-titled-noble-and-commoner-ancestors.com/p2399.htm#...

Dea. William Douglas

Private
10/4/2013 at 11:18 PM

that's why i put the unconfirmed note in there

Private User
10/4/2013 at 11:35 PM

Waking up to this - trying to get my head around it - my grandson is to arrive today - over a week late so they have to go in for the usual induction - so I am somewhat distracted! I will trust you all under Erica's guiding hand to make the right decisions!! and catch up later. I will distract myself with this during the day!

Private
10/4/2013 at 11:38 PM

Private User Congrats!! gonna be a uncle any day now so i know the feeling..

Private User
10/4/2013 at 11:41 PM

We had hoped all would go to plan this last week - so today is faced with some trepidation by my daughter! Exciting times! Enjoy your unclehood Michael!

10/4/2013 at 11:54 PM

June it will be great fun to look at the line. There's a madwoman in one of the oldest castles in Scotland (surely she haunts it?), fabulous terraced gardens, the maiden use of "The Maiden" guilliontine, casket letters, and at least 5 Illegitimate children ...

Private User
10/5/2013 at 12:04 AM

Erica, what is her name and what castle? I am sure it is, Windsor Castle is very haunted.

10/5/2013 at 2:41 AM

Elizabeth Douglas, Countess of Morton was the heiress of Abedour Castle in Fife; I'm guessing she spent most of her time there

http://canmore.rcahms.gov.uk/en/site/50844/digital_images/aberdour+... 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aberdour_Castle

While the 4th Earl was busy running the country, settling civil wars, & seducing the wives of garrison captains he had just sent the gallows ....

http://www.geni.com/documents/view?doc_id=6000000022824028829

I believe there's a grand daughter emigrated to America. We just dis proved a grandson

10/5/2013 at 2:43 AM

Geni says James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton; Regent of Scotland James Douglas, 4th Earl of Morton; Regent of Scotland is your second cousin 13 times removed

Private User
10/5/2013 at 3:07 AM

Thank you for the information to read Erica. Much appreciated!!! I am shocked and not shocked at the people I am related to, also the number of people :D

Private User
10/5/2013 at 5:07 AM

http://www.geni.com/projects/Douglas-Clan/16152 which I started work on preparing yesterday -

Probably needs an expert eye to look this over! I can't settle!

10/5/2013 at 5:27 AM

Suggestion - collect images of the Douglas castles and save to the project - you can just add the project link where it's already on the profile (i know I've done a few, including our "furious" Elizabeth of Abedour (with her husband's character no wonder she was mad! :):)

Private User
10/5/2013 at 5:57 AM

Have added a few!

Private User
10/5/2013 at 7:33 PM

June, in the work I have seen you do, I think is done well. :)

10/5/2013 at 8:38 PM

June love the map, it's really helpful to me. I have only one complaint about it; Cunningham is very small. It needs to be like it actually was - CUNNINGHAM to ERICA in 48 point neon type. :):)

10/5/2013 at 8:40 PM

Oh and Northern Ireland / Ulster plantation should show as - perhaps - the Black Hole of No Records.

Private User
10/5/2013 at 8:43 PM

Erica, you made me laugh, just now, Hahahahahaha!!!

Showing 1-30 of 39 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion