Lela Pettypool - Lela Pettypoole

Started by Linda Barber on Monday, October 7, 2013
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

10/7/2013 at 3:01 PM

Hi,
I'm Linda Irene Barber and Lela Pettypoole was my great, great grandmother. Her son, James Haynie was my grandfather. She married Hardy Baxter Haynie (that is the correct spelling of the name) and later, after Lela and Hardy died, my grandfather, James Haynie was taken to Swifton, Arkansas by his stepfather, Mr. John A. Allen. My grandfather was illiterate and at some point, someone spelled the name Haney so that now all the Haney's in my family spell it that way. My mother was Enid Haney Barber, James Haynie was her father.

Now, Mary Haynie (stage name of Mabel Stark) who was James Haynie's sister retained the original spelling. Of course, she rarely used that name because in the circus she was known as Mabel Stark, world's first woman tiger tamer and from what I've read, maybe the greatest tiger tamer of all time. The reason I'm writing is to try to get the Haynie/Haney confusion cleared up. My great aunt, Mary, was always very disturbed that my side of the family misspelled the name! So, I'm sure she's rolling over in her grave to see that her name is misspelled on this site. How do we deal with such a problem - James was known by Haney but the other brothers and sisters most likely used the Haynie name! Help me.

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion