Early Jewish Settlers in U.S. towns

Started by Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1) on Monday, October 7, 2013
Showing all 5 posts
10/7/2013 at 3:05 PM

Yesterday I took a walking tour of Old Town Alexandria organized by the Jewish Historical Society of Washington. Since I have lived in Alexandria for 27 years and know a lot of Jewish families and belonged to the Conservative shul, it was fascinating to learn the early history. When I have time, I'm going to create a couple of projects around towns such as Charleston, Richmond, Alexandria to gather the trees of the early families and provide some sources, so descendants can expand upon my work. Like many towns, the first Jews to settle in Alexandria were from Germany in the late 1700s, with Jews from Eastern Europe arriving late in the 1800s.

10/7/2013 at 3:19 PM

Hatte Blejer (absent until Nov 1),

Thanks for doing it. Some of the profiles are already on Geni from my First American Jewish Families project.

Kevin

10/14/2013 at 8:58 AM

Any information on early settlers in Scranton, PA?

10/17/2013 at 8:34 AM

This promises to be a wonderful project, Hatte. Many of the early settlers of this area are now profiled on Geni, thanks to the efforts of Kevin Hanit and others, based on Rabbi Malcolm Stern's work. Perhaps you two can collaborate.
Judith

10/17/2013 at 8:46 AM

Thanks all. I am overwhelmed at work but will keep this project in mind. I'll start with an umbrella project and then town projects.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion