Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni Pro

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 6 posts
Private User
1/18/2014 at 2:28 PM

Spouse of Deacon Samuel Edson, l: Susanna Bickley or Susanna Orcutt.
Tag Unknown Profile, Susanna Edson

We currently have Orcutt, but our About section on Samuel seems to indicate Bickley. We have:
"Deacon Samuel Edson was born about 1612 in Fillongley, Warwickshire England where he was baptized on September 5, 1613. There is now a dispute as to exact identity of his wife. Documented by Naum Mitchell is his marriage to a Susannah Orcutt who was thought to be born around 1618 in England. New facts are documented in the following points by Joel Thomas Orcutt:

Fact 1 There has never been any person named Susannah Orcutt ever recorded to have married Samuel Edson. The record of marriage Mar 1, 1638, Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire, England, states Samuel Edson married Susannah BICKLEY. Fact 2 Susannah Bickley was the sister of Margaret BICKLEY who married William Awcotte,(Orcott), May 1635, Over Whitacre, Warwickshire, England. Their son, William Awcotte/Orcott, born 1639 Mancetter, Warwickshire, England and settled in Plymouth, Mass, was the nephew of Susannah [Bickley] Edson, and not the brother, as for these many years previous supposed to have been. Fact 3 There has never been a birth record uncovered for a Susannah Orcutt born 1618 in Massachusetts or England. That as it is, Samuel Edson and his wife Susannah migrated to Salem, Essex County Massachusetts sometime before 1639 and then moved to Bridgewater, Plymouth County Massachusetts around the year 1650."

I also sent a message to Rachel Koning, where she responded with some of her research.
"Recieved from Ms. Tessa Forbes, Certified Genealogist, London, England
Jan. 27, 2001

To Mr Joel Orcutt;

"Report on research into Susannah Bickley-
Married Samuel Edson, Sutton Coldfield, Warwickshire, 17th century"

page 3
"I duly found the record of marriage of Susannah and Samuel in parish records of the Holy Trinity Church for Sutton Coldfield held in the Society of Genealogist. The original records are deposited at the county record office in Warwick."

"Christenings and Marriages 1603-1699"

"1638, 1st March."

"Samuel Edson and Susannah Bickley of the parish of Whittaker (Whitacre) were married in this church by virtue of a Licence."

Joel Orcutt's research of how Susannah may have been mistakenly written in as an Orcutt is also interesting: http://genforum.genealogy.com/cgi-bin/pageload.cgi?Susannah,Bickley...

The detail that there weren't any Orcutts in Bridgewater until about a generation later is probably worth noting as well.

It seems to be a recently heavily debated topic so if other evidence comes through hopefully it will be clear soon. Let me know if you have something I may have overlooked in the meantime."

We currently have parents for Susannah Orcutt. Is there any new research on this? Otherwise, if everyone is in agreement, we should probably change the name to Bickley and disconnect the Orcutt parents.

ctag: Erica Howton, Private User

1/18/2014 at 6:12 PM

I agree with the suggested plan.

Private User
1/18/2014 at 8:46 PM

I've no objections... just be sure that the support is in the About section. -Ben.

Private User
1/21/2014 at 8:16 AM

Ok, I've merged into Susanna Edson and disconnected the Orcutt parents William Orcutt, Sr. & Mary Orcutt. So we're all set there, however, there is a good bit of confusion that I haven't figured out on the Orcutt side.

Here is what looks like a duplicate of the parents above that may need to be merged.
* William Orcutt (MP) different birth date (same death), but I can't find that they had a child name Sarah Orcutt

Then we have:
Susanna Edson's sister is Margaret Orcutt, who married Unknown Profile, son of John Awcotte. Margaret Orcutt & Unknown Profile are the parents of Unknown Profile, who is said to be William Orcutt, Sr..

The supposed confusing being that William Orcutt, II was not Susanna Edson's brother, but her nephew. However we have William Orcutt, II's mother as Mary Orcutt, not Margaret Orcutt and his grandparents as William Orcutt, Sr. & Suzannah Orcutt, not John Awcotte.

So, suffice to say, I have no idea how all this fits together. It could use some extra eyes and research.

Private User
1/21/2014 at 8:17 AM

Correction...
Margaret Orcutt (Bickley) & William Awcotte (Orcutt), I are the parents of William Awcotte, who is said to be William Orcutt, II.

Private User
1/21/2014 at 8:33 AM

Need to verify the children of William Orcutt, II are also with the correct mother. The marriage dates would indicate the children assigned to Hannah Orcutt belong to Hannah Newton , but it seems there is good reason to believe that William Orcutt, II never married Hannah Newton and that this Hannah married John Bellows, Jr.

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.orcutt/410/mb.ashx

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion