New "Jewish Families of Ukmerge District, Lithuania autosomal DNA Group."

Started by Richard Rubin on Sunday, February 23, 2014
Showing all 4 posts
2/23/2014 at 6:16 AM

"Jewish Families of Ukmerge District, Lithuania autosomal DNA Group."

http://www.geni.com/projects/Jewish-Families-of-Ukmerge-District-Li...

I encourage members and non members of this DRG who has family in following Shtetls in Ukmerge Uyezd:

Anyksciai, Balninkai, Debekiai, Kavarskas, Kupiskis, Kurkliai, Raguva, Seta, Skiemonys, Subacius, Svedasai, Taujenai, Traupis, Troskunai, Ukmerge, Utena, Uzpaliai, Vidiskiai, Viesintos, Vyzuonos, Zelvato to perform... an autosomal DNA test - preferably, with Family Tree DNA - And, to come and join the project on Geni.

http://www.familytreedna.com/family-finder-compare.aspx

The goal of this seedling group is to gather, pool and group our autosomal DNA results in order to aid genealogists and family history reseachers to develop a series of interweaving connections within the closeknit Jewish communities of Ukmerge District, Lithuania.

The only way to develop the picture, that I believe we can paint, will require many contributions in order to develop a network of people to compare ourselves against. I hope to see many of you test and join.

2/24/2014 at 6:29 AM

Ooo! Oo! That's me! I'm so excited! My mother's grandmother came from Vilkomir (Ukmerge) in 1905. I don't know the shtetl, though. I know next to nothing but the district. Do you need yDNA only? I tested for Family Finder at FTDNA - do I need to run another test? Thanks!

2/24/2014 at 6:44 AM

Just the Family Finder results for now Marsha. It's the very start of the group and you'll need to temper your expectations. I sent you an invite to the group.

3/22/2014 at 5:15 AM

Hi Richard!
I have seen several Rubins in Gedmatch who match me distantly. I am tested by FTDNA, and my brother and son, too. Our mtDNA is also tested (U5a2e) we have just two matches, one from the same village in Finland where lived my most distant known gr-gr-...grandmother (b.1741). The other (Canadian?) has roots in Lithuania. I do not know where my maternal ancestors came from. Some of the names of our Canadian match are in the register of immigrants to Argentina, and her son was told that he could have Lithuanian Jewish ancestors. What a pity that this match has only HVR1 test.
I have really no surnames to give, because in Finland especially women had only patronyme names.

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion