Recording Longitudes and Latitudes

Started by Justin Durand on Friday, February 28, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Related Projects:

Showing all 2 posts
2/28/2014 at 7:56 PM

Dick Eastman's blogged today about the importance of recording latitudes and longitudes in addition to place names.

http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_genealogy/2014/02/recording-lo...

One paragraph caught my attention. He says, "I have written about finding cemeteries and other locations of genealogical interest by using GPS receivers. Shouldn’t we be recording the exact latitude and longitudes of those cemeteries into our genealogy databases? Perhaps the cemetery’s location alone isn’t enough. Should we record the exact location of the ancestor's tombstone?"

Of course, this is exactly what BillionGraves does, so it's neat how events come together to emphasize a point.

Private User
3/1/2014 at 1:11 PM

I agree, JC. Coordinates can help distinguish between similar-sounding names.

Speaking of my own family history, in the hills and hollers of eastern Kentucky, each family had its own cemetery, carrying the family's surname. There might be six or eight Preston cemeteries and four or five Crisp cemeteries and half a dozen Frazier/Frasure cemeteries. I'm sure it happens in other parts of the country, too.

Another reason to go home for a visit - my cousin and I can go tramp some of the small family cemeteries.

Showing all 2 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion