• Private User
    Geni Pro
  • Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
Showing all 12 posts
Private User
3/14/2014 at 4:17 PM

Is anyone else bothered by the idea of citing family trees on MH as "sources"? So much of the time I find that the trees are simply copies of the info I've entered on Geni, along with copies of MY photos which are being used without permission (although that's a whole 'nother discussion). It seems kind of circular to cite this sort of thing as a source, doesn't it?

Private User
3/14/2014 at 8:40 PM

Amen!

3/15/2014 at 1:50 AM

I wonder if MyHeritage users are given the option to quote Geni as their source?

Private User
3/15/2014 at 10:20 AM

I've wondered that, too, Alex. It hasn't occurred to me to ask, though. The only interactions I've had with any of them, though, have been when I've requested that they stop stealing my photos.

3/19/2014 at 3:32 PM

Is t my imagination or is the quality of the MH trees actually getting worse?

Private User
3/19/2014 at 3:37 PM

I don't know how they could be getting better if we're quoting them and they're quoting us and everyone is caught in a downward spiral of low standards and lack of research! Which is why I'll confirm the SmartMatches but won't click that second button which upgrades them to sources. I just don't think that copying someone else's mistakes is doing genealogy...

3/19/2014 at 8:32 PM

I have stopped even confirming them, it's all well and good in a clear well documented family but when a MH profile is 90% wrong why should i give it credence by confirming a match to my well researched profiles?

Having been on Geni for four years now i really don't understand why people prefer the MH model.

Private User
3/21/2014 at 3:03 AM

It'll grow worser.
In Danish in my mailbox.
Nyt! Geni.com profiler kan nu søges på MyHeritage
Vi kan med glæde annoncere at du nu kan søge i 138 millioner Geni familietræer med MyHeritage søgemaskine, SuperSearch. Brugere med familietræer på Myheritage vil begynde få matches fra Geni træer, til hjælp til udvidelse af træet, til mere information, til at finde nye fætre og kusiner og til at lære af hinanden.

Private User
3/21/2014 at 7:29 AM

Oh no. :(

Private User
3/21/2014 at 9:08 AM

Please, have a look in your Private settings - Managed profiles. You are able to remove a mark in "Include private profiles I manage in MyHeritage SuperSearch™ ".

But how much it'll help I don't know.

Private User
3/21/2014 at 9:14 AM

Worth noticing that it was a newsletter from My Heritage I have quoted above. NO - and absolutely NO - information about this from GENi.
Therefore - maybe Geni herself doesn't consider this misuse of Geni-users familytrees as positive :)))

Private User
3/21/2014 at 4:47 PM

re: "in your Private settings - Managed profiles. You are able to remove a mark in "Include private profiles I manage in MyHeritage SuperSearch™ "." -- another reason to care whether you are the Primary Manager, or just 'a manager"!

Showing all 12 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion