Mary "Little Dove" Bearse (Hyanno) - Mary "Little Dove" Bearse (Hyanno), Just another 'supposed' (non-existent) Indian Princess...

Started by Mary Susan Newton on Tuesday, March 18, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 20 posts

Personal Note: (FYI- There isn't any such thing as an Native American 'Princess'- Tribal culture doesn't work the same way as Feudal Monarchies, besides the fact that every woman in the tribe would then be a 'Princess'... Just plain stupid.)

Please provide the original source that suggests 'Mary' being 'Mary Hyanno'...

Mary (UNKNOWN) who Married to William Cornwall as his second wife, b. May 25, 1609 d. February 21, 1677/78 by 1639, probably in Hartford.

NOTE: The story that her identity is “Mary Hyanno,” a supposed Indian princess was started in the late 1990s with the publication of a CD-Rom of compiled genealogical information, Family Archive CD-100: 1500-1990 Family Pedigrees by United Ancestries, a now-defunct company. This identity is totally unsupported by any original sources despite diligent research by qualified genealogists. See The Middler, Newsletter of the Society of Middletown First Settlers Descendants, Vol 6 No.1, Spring 2006 by Editor R. W Bacon for an in depth discussion of this topic.

I think it best, to alleviate confusion that 'Mary Hyanno' be disconnected from William Cornwall, until proof and/or evidence can be provided.

Good luck with that one!

Besides, the fact, Mary Hyanno would've been married to both William Cornwall and Augustine Bearse, at the same time.

I would get ride of Cornwall .- But if you visit the Native Pow Wow circuit you may see a Princess or two.

I would not put much stock in Wiki tree for facts, but in this case I think they may be correct, I would send Cornwall down the road!! . I have 4 children of Mary as Gr. Granparents in different lines, plus documents to support facts in the Bearse Family. Yes she would have been a Princess among her people.

I agree, normally, my use of Wiki-tree. would be for searching out clues but in this case... The evidence compiled on Wiki-tree is more than substantial.

If you had (or have?) thirty grand and great grand children, which of them would you dub a Prince or Princess?

I wondered about this, especially since they are my 8th great grandparents (Bearse and Mary). I haven't even got Catholics in my family tree, let alone native Americans, but it's a great story and tickled my 87 year old mother.

Thank you Mary Susan Newton for the background.

There is a lot out there in the Barnstable Area about them. There's a statue to her. It's not all Wiki. The whites would have called her a princess. She sis excess and her family is in records.I read somewhere there has been some DNA done on the line, for those of you who like DNA. Hattie nothing wtong with having Native Am. in your family. Elwin, I do travel the Pow Wow circuit on occasion. Lots of fun . I know the wife of Slow Turtle, who was head of Mass Center For Native American Awareness( he passed a few years ago) Very nice woman.

Oh, by the way Slow Turtle's , non Indian name was John Peters. Also knew Sly Fox , I forgot his non Indian Name.

Don't get me wrong. My mother says she has been wanting to have native American ancestors since she was a little girl. It's just that my mother's family is so solidly Protestant old New England or old New Amsterdam or Scots-Irish, with a few Huguenots thrown in.

I would think that the name Augustine Bearse would be a clue. Certainly Augustine suggests a Huguenot origin to me.

Judith - Yes I also know who the Wife of Slow Turtle is. Yes she is very nice lady and does a lot of good for the native Community with the MCNAA. Yes many stories are lost thru the preceding generations in some families. Some Others such as myself were fortunate to have been told about Chief Hyanno many years ago and and that part of my Native heritage. among others.

Yes, I am connected too. It bothers me that people try to make this un true. I think a lot of people out there( not meaning Geni) would like to wipe Native History right off the face of the earth. Just because you can't prove it doesn't mean it's not true.

Elwin, Bern is very nice and a hard worker for the Native American s in our area. Her daughter is a wonderful dancer. I think both of them dance at Pow Wow but the younger one is really good. Nice family. They were living in my town. haven't seen them where I work lately, so they may have moved.

Hattie my mother's side is all Protestant and my father's is Huguenot and some Catholics( that's new to me.Had no idea until recently) It's the old townie Protestants that mixed up with everyone. it's that side of the family that's Native American , too.

I object to the word Pagan. The Indians don't consider themselves pagans. They believe in the Great Spirt , who basically is God and then they have other spirits , animals spirits they pray to to help them live. Remember many consider the Catholic religion Pagan. All those statutes they prey to and Saints. If you are Christian you should only prey to God via Jesus.

It should read married ina Native American ceremonies.Period!

The issue here is whether or not Mary 'Hyanno' is the same Mary (Unknown) whom married Sgt. William Cornwall, Jr.

There is no original source, evidence or proof that Mary 'Hyanno' was the same Mary, wife of Sgt. William Cornwall, Jr....

A Careful examination of the children and dates that they were supposedly born proves that it is and was Impossible for Mary 'Hyanno' to be the wife of Sgt. William Cornwall, Jr. but even more impossible for Mary 'Hyanno' to be the mother of the 'Cornwall' children.

Unless she was married to both men at the same time? Nonsense.

CORNWALL CHILDREN

Sgt. John Cornwall 1640-1707

Samuel Cornwall 1642-1728

Sarah Hubbard (Cornwall) 1647-1704

Thomas Cornwall 1648-1702

Mary Bull (Cornwall) 1649-1717

Jacob Cornwall 1649-1708

Elizabeth Hall (Cornwall) 1652-????

Esther Wilcox (Cornwall) 1650-1733

BEARSE CHILDREN

Mary Hallett (Bearse) 1640-1694

Priscilla Hall (Bearse) 1643-1712

Martha Bearse 1642-1643

Sarah Hamblin (Bearse) 1646-1712

Abigail Nichols (twin-Bearse) 1647-1670

Hannah Bearse 1649-1719

Joseph Bearse 1651-1728

Hester Bearse 1653-1723

Lydia Bearse 1655-1725

Rebecca Hunter (Bearse) 1657-1746

James Bearse Sr. 1660-1728

This is why someone is perpetrating a lie...

"William was supposedly a direct descendant of King Henry II of England. His current day descendants 37 point DNA matches that of Thomas Cornell of Rhode Island's decendants linked via George Cornell, b. 1545 in Faristead Manor, Terlling, Essex, England."

Why is it a lie? first, lets clarify further, where this lie began:

NOTE: The story that her identity is “Mary Hyanno,” a supposed Indian princess was started in the late 1990s with the publication of a CD-Rom of compiled genealogical information, Family Archive CD-100: 1500-1990 Family Pedigrees by United Ancestries, a now-defunct company. This identity is totally unsupported by any original sources despite diligent research by qualified genealogists. See The Middler, Newsletter of the Society of Middletown First Settlers Descendants, Vol 6 No.1, Spring 2006 by Editor R. W Bacon for an in depth discussion of this topic.

Why is it a bold faced lie?

Because if you can prove 'Sovereign' descent, you have right to 'Sovereign' status in the UK, the EU and hereditary recognition, with possible reclamation of 'Title' 'in many European countries but....

'IF' you have Native American descent, at all, you are disqualified from your God given heritage- according to the that defunct fake Windsor, Saxe-Coburg, wanna-be queen Elizabeth II and her opinions.

The reference sources listed on that genealogy site are not 'Academic' nor original sources to prove the Identity of Mary (unknown) Cornwall.

832 "Sheryl Doud Gustafson to Linda Coate E-mail letter dated July 4, 1997 at sgustaf@epix.net in Linda Coate files (F-492, 510)."

833 Cornwell, Gale, Letters dated 2000+ (81641 Ave 48, #89, Indio, CA 92201-6749

And e-mail (dated July 4, 1997) and snail-mail (dated 2000) letters do not constitute proof of Mary's identity at all. It's merely an 'opinion' and theory not academic proof nor evidence that even suggest her 'TRUE' identity, much less reveal, beyond a shadow of a doubt that she was the same Mary as Mary 'Hyanno'. It would be best, academically speaking, to remove Mary 'Hyanno' as a wife from Sgt. William Cornwall, until an original and academically sound proof can be provided.

Besides, as I presented earlier, the dates of the 'Cornwall' children over lap multiple times with the 'Bears' children which would mean both men we married to her at the same time... If we accept the date, 'about 1639' as the date when, supposedly, William and Mary were married- if it was Mary Hyanno, then who really gave birth to all the 'Bearse' children? - The dates just overlap.

There is, however, more than enough, proof that Mary 'Hyanno' was the wife of Augustine Bearse and the mother of his children.

There is not, however, any proof or evidence, what-so-ever, to claim Mary Cornwall, as to being the same woman, as Mary 'Hyanno', at all.

The 'Hyanno' theory conflicts with all the academically accepted data available. It's as simple as that.

Probably a different Mary.married to Cornwall.

Showing all 20 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion