Geni Pro
  • Private User
    Geni member
  • Geni Pro

Related Projects:

Showing all 4 posts
Private User
3/21/2014 at 2:19 PM

I'm afraid I don't understand the purpose of this project. I'm not intending to step on any toes, but in a world where far too much emphasis is put on appearance, why would we want to promote this kind of project?

It seems like a far better use of our time and efforts to work on projects about people who have demonstrated extraordinary compassion or service or who have overcome tremendous challenges or who have achieved something admirable.

I know I can just ignore any project that doesn't appeal to me, but I thought it might be worthwhile to start a discussion about what we as a community want to focus on.

Private User
3/21/2014 at 2:40 PM

Hi Private User The purpose is the same as any other project - to group our ancestors and relatives together in one place in their chosen profession, job, activities, or what have you, in order to have a better understanding of who they were and their place in history. That is my opinion anyway :-)

Private User
3/21/2014 at 2:57 PM

Yes, and put that way it seems pretty innocuous! I'm probably overly-sensitive to this issue, but it comes out of my focus as a mom, trying so hard to help my child learn not to judge people by appearances. We seem, especially in the U.S., to be all too ready to value people on all the wrong things, and I don't have the answer - I'm just concerned. Thanks for your reply, Leslie.

3/21/2014 at 5:21 PM

I like this project. The ways that women could support their families, historically, was limited. Let's celebrate whatever we can find out!

Showing all 4 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion