Findagrave

Started by Marsha Gail Veazey on Tuesday, June 17, 2014
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 7 posts

I've not been able to access findagrave.com for two days. Is it just me?

Not just you....check out the discussion "Attention, Curators, Please Assist"

F/G was bombed with a DDoD attack (denial of service) by hackers, along with Ancestry. If you "like" their page on Facebook, you'll get updates. They're mostly back up but their servers are running very slowly.

:(

Somebody got torqued off at Ancestry.com, is my guess, and the subsidiaries were collateral damage.

Ancestry.com has been doing several annoying things lately, from announcing that they will no longer support Genealogy.com (extant information will be preserved in read-only form, other functions terminated, nothing will be able to be added) to discontinuing their own "casual search" function.

Ancestry.com was purchased by a European private equity fund in 2013. I suspect that the new owners are tweaking the product line ups / service offerings. Hopefully, they won't screw it up too badly.

Thanks Jennifer for the info.

Findagrave.com has been back up and running for a day or two now.

Still unavailable:

* Mycanvas.com
* Myfamily.com
* Mundia.com
* Genealogy.com and ALL its subsidiaries

Since these were services that Ancestry.com was planning to terminate (or, in the case of Genealogy.com, convert to read-only) anyway, I very much doubt that there is much, if any, effort being put into restoring them.

This is especially disturbing in the case of the Rootsweb.com subsidiary, which had vast numbers of family trees - some of them painstakingly researched by experts - stored on it and now gone, perhaps forever.

Showing all 7 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion