her mother → Richard Neville, 5th Earl of Salisbury
her father → Joan Beaufort, Countess of Westmorland
his mother → Prince John of Gaunt
her father → Edward III of England
his father → Edward II of England
his father → Edward I "Longshanks", King of England
his father → Henry III of England
his father show short path | share this path

When I click the next profile back, Geni unhooks me from John Lackland, and says he's Isabella's husband but not my GGF.
Glitch here?

9/2/2014 at 7:30 PM

I was just trying to put my family tree online. I thought it would be simple and I would be done with it. But now I am just confused with a family tree that I have had privately for maybe 15 years. My Coates line goes to Edward the III I am sure. The Royals after that should be easy to find documentation.

familyforest.com/file_download/100/Longshanks.pdf Do I have it wrong? This is really hard work.

9/2/2014 at 8:09 PM

I also thought it was private for awhile. No doubt, this is really hard work !

9/2/2014 at 9:35 PM

Private User

I've invited you to this project

www.geni.com/projects/Working-with-Relationships/17570

It's a very long path with too many possibilities in densities - or outstanding merges - for me to try and trouble shoot. I can take it the 10 gens or so in Colonial America if you like.

Private User
9/3/2014 at 9:04 AM

Hi Erica:
The generations in colonial America are old well documented lines, so there's no point in reinventing the wheel, and the English side is correct to Henry III. Why wouldn't he be John Lacklands son, which of course he is.

Something more recent has happened to the tree as there was never this glitch before. I'm not understanding the terminology " densities" but I'll check out the project you mentioned, thanks. Rather large issue here so wanted to let you know.

Private User
9/3/2014 at 9:08 AM

Hi Erica:
The generations in colonial America are old well documented lines, so there's no point in reinventing the wheel, and the English side is correct to Henry III. Why wouldn't he be John Lacklands son, which of course he is.

Something more recent has happened to the tree as there was never this glitch before. I'm not understanding the terminology " densities" but I'll check out the project you mentioned, thanks. Rather large issue here so wanted to let you know.

9/3/2014 at 10:30 AM

Hi Pam,

I think, possibly you were recently "connected" to John Lackland's wife and that's why your path is turning up, through her at the moment, when you click to him. And you've come up onto your relation to Henry from the bottom up... And your relation to his mother, from the top down... Possibly.

Walking the branch may actually help...sometime's you just have to wait a week... or two for the recycle my path button to finally re- appear.

xoxoxoxoRenée

9/3/2014 at 10:33 AM

John Lackland's a three way gGrandfather to me. 24th through two different paths and a 25th gGrandfather through another. Yes, I have compared the paths, with great scrutiny .
;-)

9/3/2014 at 10:37 AM

"her father → Edward III of England
his father → Edward II of England
his father → Edward I "Longshanks", King of England
his father → Henry III of England
his father show short path | share this path

"When I click the next profile back, Geni unhooks me from John Lackland, and says he's Isabella's husband but not my GGF.
Glitch here?"

This is typical. This happens to me every once in a while even with lines that sometimes work well. I guess that has to do with software quality.

9/3/2014 at 1:28 PM

Not software quality but the density and activity of the Geni tree. Please check the project referenced for more explanations.

Private User
9/4/2014 at 9:29 AM

Thanks Theresa, since we are related you know what I'm talking about.

9/4/2014 at 2:22 PM

Funny and totally cute, Pam! ;-)

Erica is a 14th cousin and a 16th cousin Camilio and Roxana also, he´s a 14th and she a 16th cousin. But we are closest, on this board, so far.

Erica also, goes through Grosvenor in the 16th cousin connection. So, you two should also, be related, at the very least. heehee!

But the path changing has nothing to do with any of this... it´s really, just where you happened to be the moment before on Geni... in the closest or same window on your browser.

And the relationship- calculator remembers, too... when you´re logged in... Doesn´t matter which device I am doing my Geni thing on... it remembers, the most recent path, 95% of the time.

I just had the same exact experience, with John Lackland, as you... because, yes... we share the same multiple relationships, to both of them. And we share a relatively closer knit line, due to the "nearer proximity" of our branches.

:-* <3

9/4/2014 at 7:55 PM

There were also outstanding merges needed on John Lackland's wife.

It is on every member who is interested to learn to inspect the tree for issues like that. Everyone can merge and if you don't know how, raise the question for a lesson.

Private User
9/4/2014 at 7:59 PM

Paths have been going weird lately. I thought the relationship calculator might be giving too much weight to the male line, but other people report having the opposite problem.

I've had what should be a 9-step path turn into a 44-step one because the path calculator goes crazy-wrong-way-around in several places.

Sometimes it settles down again. Eventually.

IMHO the relationship calculator Does Not Like cousin marriages or remarriages - or, especially, remarriages among cousins. I've got a lot of that on my Northampton/Accomack lines - small gene pool, limited new input, pretty soon everybody's cousins.

9/4/2014 at 8:17 PM

This is the nonsense that has to stop
Look at his wives John I "Lackland", King of England
The master profile Isabella of Angoulême
3 more http://www.geni.com/search/matches?src=flash-tree&amp;id=6000000027...

Look at when this was added added Unknown Profile

Best one is this Isabella of Angouleme 1186-1246 look who added it Alfredthe Great 849-899

If we only had a way of saying sorry there is a profile for that already..

That is the reason why we have to lock down those Master Profiles....my rant for the night.

9/4/2014 at 8:49 PM

I agree, especially in the oooooold portions of the tree where it is highly unlikely that new info will come to light, and then in rare cases where a change is needed that can be discussed with curator.

9/5/2014 at 9:22 AM

How do I avoid this problem? When I am working on my husband's line and want to check the relationship path, I get how I'm related to the person. So it's usually some thing like 10th cousin 12 times removed from me! When actually it should be some thing like 12th great grandfather of my husband.

9/5/2014 at 11:00 AM

Everyone needs to help new members by merging in their duplicates.

If you want a correct path from Geni, you must deliver a correct tree "to" Geni - and a tree with outstanding merges is not, by definition, correct.

9/5/2014 at 11:09 AM

That may be true to some extent, but I dare to doubt it is entirely a matter of outstanding mergers.

9/5/2014 at 12:02 PM

I only deal in specifics:). That "is" the case for the "glitch" under discussion on this thread, and I hope by identifying the identifying the problem someone with an interest will go forward and execute the solution; merge in the outstanding profiles.

9/5/2014 at 1:10 PM

Let us hope !

9/5/2014 at 5:51 PM

in my opinion, which isn't worth much, I have been doing genealogy research for over 15 yrs, I have been using geni for a few yrs now, and have met many new cousins, and one of my cousins Justin had a great point which I have found to be true about geni, its a great place for "HINTS" but do not take anything you find on here for fact, do your research before you consider it fact, there are lots of great sites with true info, I myself do not add anything to my personal home database until I have researched it thoroughly, which is one reason I have not added anymore to my geni tree, don't get me wrong, geni is a great site but research is the name of the game, that just my opinion, and opinions are like *************** everyone has one and that's mine

9/5/2014 at 7:18 PM

Karen Dorothy Plummer

Go to your husbands profile, there is an image of a thumb tack/ pin in the relationship path box on the right hand side. Press that button and all relationships will be shown based on him.

9/6/2014 at 8:51 AM

I have a glitch as well....Henry III is my 22nd GGF, and when I click the links to the left here...John Lackland and his wife are not related to me...but when I click Henry III, and then his parents, they are my grandparents..

Private User
9/6/2014 at 8:58 AM

"Merging in duplicates" is all very well when you're working with a general population of profiles. But once you get into the Very Important Profiles, most of them are Deathlocked against any possible change, merge, editing or alteration in any way whatsoever.

This means that any profiles matching a Deathlocked profile must be ***DELETED***.

9/6/2014 at 9:46 AM

Kristin Felicia VanNest

These are the Master profiles John I "Lackland", King of England
and
Isabella of Angoulême
You are connected to those

This profile has not been merged as yet so you would not see a connection there
Isabella of Angouleme 1186-1246

9/7/2014 at 10:47 AM

Thank you, Alex and Erica. It's so easy when you know how! I should have asked sooner.

Showing 1-30 of 31 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion