The Staats / van Huysen family

Started by Alex Moes on Tuesday, October 28, 2014
Showing all 9 posts
10/28/2014 at 5:30 PM

Firstly i have followed the link to Sean Edward Staats web site, Sean is now an "abandoned" profile on Geni so perhaps this discussion ma re-engage him, but that site now directs people with an interest in the family to Geni!

I have already done some cleaning using baptism and marriage records but i am running up against questions which can't easily be answered.

I decided to start a single family discussion rather than a separate one for each profile.

10/28/2014 at 9:32 PM

At the top of the tree is Pieter N.N..

His son, Jan Pietersen van Huysen, is the progenitor of the family in America. According to this marriage record:

1652 15 May; Jan Pieterszen, van Husum, wid; Grietje Jans, van Groeningen

He was from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Husum in Germany but considering the name is often spelled "van Huizen" it seems equally possible that he was from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huizen in Holland.

Either way there is no logical reason why Pieter (who presumably did not emigrate) would have had the surname "van Huisen".

10/28/2014 at 9:39 PM

Interestingly the name of the profile Pieter N.N. who currently displays as "Pieter Staats van Huisen" was originally created as "Pieter Staats".

"Staats" is used as a male name by later generations so in this context it may be a patronymic.

10/29/2014 at 3:07 AM

Hello Alex,
Not that it may be relevant here, but "Staats" or variants are very often a patronymic related to the first name "Eustachius". So, that may give an additional indication.
About the Huisen... I remember I looked into this about 3 years ago - way too long to remember the details. But, indeed, I remember a key issue was where the Huisen is, and that it may well be the German Husum. Quite a few of these early New Amsterdam settlers had Holstein origins. I wouldn't mind about the spelling. I think that if the most original transcription says Husum, it is more likely that it is the Holstein Husum, as it would be too different from any Dutch pronounciation of Huisen. Just my 2 cents, without looking into it deeper, of course :-)

10/29/2014 at 5:42 AM

That might help, the earliest record of "Staats" i can find in NA DRC is in 1690, which makes me wonder if Staats is a later addition that genealogists have added to these earlier settlers working backwards. Just a suspicion.

regarding place of origin i've found 6 NA DRC listings for Jan, which ive put in his About, "van Huysen" is the oldest in 1640. I'm not sure what to make of it all.

10/29/2014 at 3:30 PM

"Jan never actually went by the Staats surname. His two sons, Pieter Janse and Jan Janse, were using the Staats surname by the time they took the King of England's Oath of Allegiance in Kings County in 1687. "

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/staats

I think anything Sean posts should be considered strong evidence, especially when i agree with it! :-)

10/29/2014 at 5:08 PM

For George & Alex

I connect to this family "down tree" & I also have the (dubious ?) distinction of having lived not in the Wallabout but probably closer to the Gowanus (now "South Brooklyn").

I am more than happy to assist conforming to Sean's work.

10/29/2014 at 5:56 PM

Sean's website directs people interested in the family tree to a fantastic site called... Geni, so conforming to his data is not going to be easy but you help is always appreciated.
So far i've been trying to verifiy what's on Geni using NA BDMs and when i can't using Google to see what nuggets might be on the web. Very slow going and as usual lots of misinformation. I have not yet done much of a search of published works like Bergen etc

10/29/2014 at 6:00 PM

Changed DOB of Pieter Jansz Staats from 28 June 1643 to c.1638.

28 June 1643 is the baptismal date of his brother, Jan Jansz van Huysen : "1643 Jun 28; Jan Pieterszen van Huysen; Jan; Cornelis Ledert, Marie Thomas"

Several websites suggest Pieter was not born in America but emigrated with his parents. I have not been able to find them on a passenger list but Sean seems to think 1638 is the likely year of emigration.

Showing all 9 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion