All 17 known?

Started by Philip Chester Peck on Saturday, February 7, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing all 5 posts
2/7/2015 at 7:53 PM

My trees here at Geni suggest that I am a direct descendent all 17 signers of the Magna Charta known to have modern descendants. This is primarily due to both paternal grandparents having nearly equal numbers of signers as grandparents.Beyond, it appears that there is one more signers that haven't been shown to date as having current descendants. I have included them below. My question is Geni pulling my leg? Surely there would have been others if my line is true?

"Robert "The Younger" Marmion, VI of Winteringham, Magna Carta Surety is your 26th great grandfather"

As a last note, 6 of the remaining 7 signers show as close cousins or uncles.

2/8/2015 at 4:33 AM

Another "last note". Geni also says that I'm the 24 great grandson of:

Eustace de Vesci

I haven't been able to find the error. ???

2/8/2015 at 4:55 PM

Geni shows that 22 of the Magna Carta Sureties are my grandfathers; 3 are uncles; remaining 2 are cousins.

You are my 8th cousin 2X, thru Joseph Peck, my 9th GGF. :)

Private User
2/8/2015 at 6:32 PM

That's likely true, nobody is joking with you, Peck
I was related to everyone but one I think, from
first cousin up to 10, but I'm on the other side,
meaning that none of them are my forefathers.

2/9/2015 at 10:18 AM

@Linda and Ulf, Thanks for the responses. I guess 'joking' is the wrong word. It does seem odd that all the major publications indicate there were only 17 of the signers that had progeny beyond the 4th generation, yet Geni indicates something much different. That said, I am now on a quest to track down the facts. Somehow, I think there may be 'creative thinking' on the parts of some of the members here at Geni.

Linda, I did find another grandfather. Geni had returned 2 different lines to the last. Our mix is almost identical. Half of the 20 come from Joseph Peck (my 7th GGF). A fascinating man. I find it even more fascinating he is not mentioned as an ancestor in any contemporary publications. The other 10 coming from my paternal grandmother. There are 4 uncles and 2 cousins (counting the 'replacement signer') It might be fun to compare lines, especially our 'add-ons' to the 17 known. Feel free to contact me privately.

Showing all 5 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion