The Wonderful World of Jewish/Yiddish Humor.....

Started by Norm Galston on Friday, April 17, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Showing 31-60 of 109 posts

Brisket Just Like Bubbe Made It...

A young Jewish mother is preparing a Brisket one Friday for Shabbat dinner.
Her daughter watches with interest as the mother slices off the ends of the Brisket before placing it in the roasting pan.
The young girl asks her mother why she did this.
The mother pauses for a moment and then says, "You know, I'm not sure.
This is the way I always saw my mother make a brisket. Let's call Grandma and ask her."
So, she phones her mother and asks why they always slice the ends off the brisket before roasting.
The Grandmother thinks for a moment and then says, "You know, I'm not sure why, this is the way I always saw MY mother make a brisket."
Now the two women are very curious, so they pay a visit to the great-grandmother in the nursing home.
"You know when we make a brisket," they explain, "we always slice off the ends before roasting. Why is that?"

....."I don't know why YOU do it," says the old woman,
"but I never had a pan that was large enough!"

******Jackie Mason on Starbuck's******

You want coffee in a coffee shop, that's 60 cents. But at Starbucks, Cafe Latte: $3.50. Cafe Cremier: $4.50. Cafe Suisse: $9.50.
For Each French word, another four dollars.
Why does a little cream in coffee make it worth $3.50?
Go into any coffee shop; they'll give you all the cream you want until you're blue in the face. Forty million people are walking around in coffee shops with jars of cream:
"Here's all the cream you want!". And it's still 60 cents.
You know why? Because it's called "coffee."
If it's Cafe Latte -$4.50. You want cinnamon in your coffee? Ask for cinnamon in a coffee shop; they'll give you all the cinnamon you want. Do they ask you for more money because it's cinnamon? It's the same price for cinnamon in your coffee ask for coffee without cinnamon - 60 cents, that's it.
But not in Starbucks. Over there, it's Cinnamonnier - $9.50. You want a refill in a regular coffee shop, they'll give you all the refills you want until you drop dead. You can come in when you're 27 and keep drinking coffee until you're 98. And they'll start begging you: "Here, you want more coffee, you want more, you want more?"
Do you know that you can't get a refill at Starbucks? A refill is a dollar fifty. Two refills, $4.50. Three refills, $19.50. So, for four cups of coffee - $35.00. And it's burnt coffee. It's burnt coffee at Starbucks, let's be honest about it. If you get burnt coffee in a coffee shop, you call a cop. You say, "It's the bottom of the pot. I don't drink from the bottom of the pot." But when it's burnt at Starbucks, they say, "Oh, it's a blend. It'sa blend. It's a special bean from Argentina...."
The bean is in your head. And there're no chairs in those Starbucks. Instead, they have these high stools. You ever see these stools?
You haven't been on a chair that high since you were two! Seventy-three year old Jews are climbing and climbing to get to the top of the chair.
And when they get to the top, they can't even drink the coffee because there's 12 people around one little table, and everybody's saying, "Excuse me, excuse me, excuse me, excuse me..." Then they can't get off the chair. Old Jews are begging Gentiles, "Mister, could you getme off this?"
Do you remember what a cafeteria was?
In poor neighborhoods all over this country, they went to a cafeteria because there were no waiters and no service. And so poor people could save money on a tip.
Cafeterias didn't have regular tables or chairs either.
They gave coffee to you in a cardboard cup.
So because of that you paid less for the coffee.
You got less, so you paid less. It's all the same at Starbucks, no chairs, no service, a cardboard cup for your coffee - except in Starbucks, the less you get, the more it costs. By the time they give you nothing, it's worth four times as much.
Am I exaggerating? Did you ever try to buy a cookie in Starbucks? Buy a cookie in a regular coffee shop. You can tear down a building with that cookie.
And the whole cookie is 60 cents.
At Starbucks, you're going tohave to hire a detective to find that cookie, and it's $9.50. And you can't put butter on it because they want extra. Do you know that if you buy a bagel, you pay extra for creamcheese in Starbucks?
Cream cheese, another 60 cents.
A knife to put it on, 32 cents.
If it reaches the bagel, 48 cents.
That bagel costs you $312.
And they don't give you the butter or the cream cheese.
They don't give it to you.
They tell you where it is.
"Oh, you want butter?It's over there.
Cream cheese? Over here, Sugar? Sugar is here."
Now you become your own waiter. You walk around with a tray.
"I'll take the cookie.
Where's the butter? The butter's here.
Where's the cream cheese?
The cream cheese is there." You walked around for an hour and a half selecting items, and then the guy at the cash register has a glass in front of him that says
"Tips." You're waiting on tables for an hour, and you owe him money?
Then there's a sign that says please clean it up when you're finished.
They don't give you a waiter or a busboy.
Now you've become the janitor.
Now you have to start cleaning up the place.
Old Jews are walking around cleaning up Starbucks. "Oh, he's got dirt too?
Wait, I'll clean this up."
They clean up the place for an hour and a half.
If I said to you, "I have a great idea for a business. I'll open a whole new
type of a coffee shop. A whole new type.
Instead of 60 cents for coffee I'll charge $2.50, $3.50, $4.50, and $5.50. Not
only that, I'll have no tables, no chairs, no water, no busboy, and you'll clean it up for 20 minutes after you're finished." Would you say to me, "That's the greatest idea for a business I ever heard! We can open a chain of these all over the world!" No, you would put me right into a sanitarium.
Starbucks can only get away with it because they have French titles for everything, Nazi bastard sons-of-a-bitches. And I say this with the highest respect, because I don't like to talk about people.

--- Jackie Mason

Air Sickness????

Aboard an El Al flight from Israel to America, Grandma Esther was taking her very first flight. They had only been aloft a few minutes when the old lady complained to the stewardess that her ears were popping.
The girl smiled and gave the older woman some chewing gum, assuring her that many people experienced the same discomfort.

When they landed in New York, Grandma thanked the stewardess. "The chewing gum worked fine," she said, "but tell me, how do I get it out of my ears?"

That story reminded me of my childhood and what I did one stupid day.
I played with a little toy car, the wheel feel of, I putted the wheel in my ear,
don't ask me why, I just did it. The wheel got stuck, I tried to take it out
but it went further in, then I asked my dad for help, he looked at my ear,
took a pincette,
and then I learned the names of all the curses in the whole world.

And G-d Created Israel...

On the sixth day, G-d turned to the Angels and said: "Today I am going to create a land called Israel, it will be a land of mountains full of snow, sparkly lakes, forests full of all kind of trees, high cliffs overlooking sandy beaches with an abundance of sea life."
G-d continued, "I shall make the land rich so to make the inhabitants prosper, I shall call these inhabitants Israeli's, and they shall be known to the most people on earth."

"But Lord, asked the Angels, don't you think you are being too generous to these Israeli's?"

"Not really, G-d replied, just wait and see the neighbors I am going to give them..........."

I loved Jackie Mason on Starbucks. That is not only Jewish humour -- it's the TRUTH!

"Last Words"

Sadie's husband Jake has been slipping in and out of a coma for several months, yet his faithful wife stays by his bedside day and night. One night, Jake comes to and motions for her to come closer. He says.. "My Dear Sadie, you have been with me through all the bad times.
When I got fired, you were there to support me.
When my business failed, you were there.
When I got shot, you were by my side.
When we lost the house, you gave me support.
When my health started failing, you were still by my side.
You know what, Sadie?"....
"What dear?" she asked gently..."I think you're bad luck."

"The Visitor"

This evening, the doorbell rang. We live in a predominantly Jewish suburban neighborhood of single family houses, a demographic fact known far and wide.
I opened the door and was greeted by a nicely dressed man...
"I have come to bring Jesus to your home," he said.
I reacted almost immediately and asked..
"Is he coming for dinner?"
The man said
"He will come any time you are ready."
Aha, I had a live one...
"Well, tonight we're having a stir fry. Does Jesus like chicken?" I asked.
The man's eyes glazed slightly.

"I don't know if he still keeps kosher, after all these years," I continued, "but this is a kosher home, so he'll be able to eat."
The man fumbled into a briefcase and handed me a printed brochure, which I ignored.
"If he wants to daven Mincha before he comes, the shul is only three blocks from here," I said.
He gulped, "What?"
I repeated my statement and added..
"You mean Jesus Christ, don't you?"
He nodded.
I continued, "Born in Bethlehem?"
He nodded and started to back away from my door.
I smiled and said, "If that's the guy, he's Jewish."
As he started to turn away, I said, "You're invited too, but no butter on your dinner roll" and the guy almost ran down the walk.
My wife asked me who was at the door and I told her, "Some friend of Jesus."
She knows me. She shrugged. "And did you invite him in?" she asked.
I nodded, "Sure. I invited him and Jesus to dinner, but the guy ran away"
She walked back into her office, and said over her shoulder, "You don't speak Aramaic, dummy. Jesus would have a lousy evening here."
I told you, she knows me. I forgot all about the language problem.

Language problem...

In that time, Greek was the lingua franca, just as Yiddish was in Europe
1000 years later and forward. A lot of people in the Middle East certainly understood greek, latin and many various common language and dialects in that area and considering the many loan words we do use today from all of these language, I'm sure you would have been able to communicate even with Jesus, albeit probably in a slow and sluggish way.

Henny Youngman roasts Don Rickles

(Watch the stars on the dais....That's Jewish Humour)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbkUC2iRrA

Rickles Gets his Revenge...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ec5CQIIcAYw

The Great Alan King....
You have to be Jewish to love this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_DgxAlEdvs

Airline Menu

Scandinavian Airlines dinner:
Smoked salmon on hard doughnut-shaped rolls.

El Al dinner:
Lox on bagels.

90 year old Saul Epstein was taking an oral exam in his English as a Second Language course. He was asked to spell "cultivate," and he spelled it correctly.
He was then asked to use the word in a sentence, and, with a big smile, responded:
"Last vinter on a very cold day, I vas vaiting for a bus, but it vas too cultivate, so I took the subvay home.

(PS: Spell Check kept trying to correct half the words above)

Where do you get these things? I like the "cultivate" story -- but it relies on the older generation of accent, hardly heard anymore ... they are almost all dead by now. Do you remember those people and those days?

Okay, Norm, since you mentioned you are secular, this one is for you:

On the Upper West Side lived an assimilated Jew who was a militant atheist.

But he sent his son to Trinity School because, despite its denominational roots, it's a great school, and completely secular.

After a month, the boy comes home and says casually, "By the way Dad, do you know what _Trinity_ means? It means the Father, the Son, and the Holy Ghost."

The father can barely control his rage. He seizes his son by the shoulders and declares, "Danny, I'm going to tell you something now and I want you never to forget it. There is only one G-d -- and we don't believe in Him!"

And this one i just like ...

A goy asked Reb Moshe: "Why do Jews always answer with a question?

Reb Moshe: Why not?

RE: Where do you get these things?

Hi Cat....

I grew up second generation American in W.A.S.P. Los Angeles in WASPie neighborhoods...with just a little Yiddish spoken so we wouldn't understand anything our parents wanted to keep a secret.
As a kid in the 1950's I saw Jewish Comics on TV, Records, I read tons of books on the Lower East Side of N.Y., I Married a girl from Brooklyn...she came to L.A. at 6 months but brought her accent with her!!!....

I grew up Jewish via "osmosis...my teachers are below:

Mickey Katz - Sixteen Tons of latkes!:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z66tF_UiQc&list=PL4gKUUdLp-zX1...

Myron Cohen - Comedian (1951):
https://youtu.be/WEcD5px35Lc

Comedian Mal Z. Lawrence:
https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search;_ylt=AwrTcdbw90hVkw0AyrcPxQt.;_...

THE AUDIT...

Milt Green, a wealthy L.A. businessman received a letter of Audit from the IRS. It really upset him and so he called his accountant, Sol Klein.

Milt (pleading): "Sollie, what are they doing to me? Why are they doing this to me?"

Sol (calming): "Milt, don't worry about it. I've got all the receipts, the account is up to date, it's no problem. But let me give you a bit of advice. When you go to the Audit, try to make a BAD impression. Wear the crummiest, dirtiest clothes you've got. Have holes in your shoes, ripped pants and look shabby.
I mean really look terrible, because if they have a little sympathy, they'll go easy on you."

Then Milt called his Lawyer, Charlie.
Charlie said: "Milt, it's no problem, I'm sure they got the receipts, I’m sure everything is up to date, you've got a great accountant, don't worry about it.
Buuut Let me give you a tip. When you go to the Audit, it's very important that you make a GOOD impression. Wear your best suit, and your shirt with a silk tie and cuff links and shine your shoes, look like a somebody. Because if you look like a somebody they respect you and will go easy on you."

Soooo now he's torn. That night Milt bumped into his Rabbi at the Deli... and he told the Rabbi the story.

Rabbi: "Milt, it reminds me of sometimes when I perform a wedding..... The bride's father will tell his daughter that on her wedding night she should wear a nightgown with a high collar and long sleeves and a full length robe ... cover up, you know, be a little demure.
And then the mother says, 'Don't be silly. Wear a low cut "negligee" with the cleavage sticking out -- look a little sexy'……….sooo Milt, I will say to you just like I say to the bride on her wedding night, it makes no difference what the hell you wear.....You're gonna' get screwed!!!!!!!!".

"Tomb of the Unknown Soldier"

A group of foreign dignitaries are visiting Israel. At the end of the tour, they are taken to see the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. They look at the tomb and read the following inscription:
ABRAHAM SCHWARTZ BORN 5694 DIED 5733 A GOOD MAN AND A GREAT FURRIER

The visitors are incredulous. They ask the guide, "How can this be an unknown soldier if the grave has his name?" Their host responds, "Sure, as a soldier he was unknown, but as a furrier -- he was the best!"

"GENEALOGY from Ellis Island..."

Walking through San Francisco's Chinatown, a tourist from the Midwest was fascinated with all the Chinese restaurants, shops, signs and banners. He turned a corner and saw a building with the sign "Moishe Plotnik's Chinese Laundry.""Moishe Plotnik?" he wondered. "How does that fit in Chinatown?"

So he walked into the shop and saw a fairly standard looking Chinese laundry. He could see that the proprietors were clearly aware of the uniqueness of the name as there were baseball hats, T-Shirts and coffee mugs emblazoned with the logo "Moishe Plotnik's Chinese Laundry."There was also a fair selection of Chinatown souvenirs, indicating that the name alone had brought many tourists into the shop. The tourist selected a coffee cup as a conversation piece to take back to his office. Behind the counter was a smiling old Chinese gentleman who thanked him for his purchase.

The tourist asked, "Can you tell me how this place got a name like "Moishe Plotnik's Chinese Laundry? "The old man answered, "Ahh... Everybody asks me that. It's the name of the owner."Looking around, the tourist asked, "Is he here now?"
"He is right here," replied the old man. "He is me."
"Really? How did you ever get a name like Moishe Plotnik?"
"Is simple," said the old man. "Many, many years ago when I came to this country, I was standing in line at the documentation center. The man in front of me was a Jewish gentleman from Poland. "The lady at the counter looked at him and said, 'What is your name?'
"He said, 'Moishe Plotnik.'
"Then she looked at me and said, 'What is your name?'"
I said, 'Sam Ting.'"

"Oyyyyyy...iz dat Chewish....."

Two Jews, Morty and Saul, are out one afternoon on a lake when their boat starts sinking.
Saul says to Morty, "So listen, Morty, you know I don't swim so well." Morty remembered how to carry another swimmer from his lifeguard class when he was just a kid. So Morty is begins tugging Saul toward shore. After ten minutes, he begins to tire. Finally about 100 feet from shore, Morty asks Saul, "So Saul, do you suppose you could float alone?"

Saul replies, "Morty, this is a hell of a time to be asking for money!"

A Jewish Mother's Answering Machine
If you want kasha & varnishkes, dial 1;
If you want knishes press 2;
If you want chicken soup, press 3;
If you want matzoh balls with the soup, press 4;
If you want to know how am I feeling, you are calling the wrong number since nobody ever asks me how I am feeling...and dey don't care neither!!!

I liked the rabbi's advice about the audit. That must be an old one, because i heard it as a child! It seemed very risque at the time.

"The New Priest"

A Jew converts and becomes a priest. He gives his first mass in front of a number of high ranking priests who came for the occasion.
At the end of the new priest's sermon a cardinal goes to congratulate him.
"Pastor Lewis," he said,"That was very well done, you were just perfect.
But next time please don't start your sermon with
"Fellow goyim..."!!!!!!!

"The Captain"

In the mid 80's a cruiser of the U.S. navy put in to port in Cartahegna, Spain for a week's shore leave.
The first evening, the Captain was more than a little surprised to receive the following letter from an upper-class Spanish lady:
"Dear Captain,
On Thursday, it will be my daughter's coming of age party. I would like you to send four well-mannered, rich, unmarried officers. They should arrive at 8 p.m...... One last point: No Jews---We don't like Jews.
Sure enough, at 8 PM on Thursday, the lady heard a rap at the door, which she opened to find, in dress uniform, four exquisitely mannered, wealthy BLACK officers. Her lower jaw hit the floor, but pulling herself together she got out, "There must be some mistake."

"Madam," said the first officer, "Captain Cohen doesn't make mistakes!!!"

A Martian landed in Jerusalem...
The people questioned him: "Are you really a Martian?"
"Of course."
"Do all Martians look like you?"
"Of course."
"Are you all green?"
"Yes we are."
"Do you all have those antennae coming out of your heads?"
"Certainly."
"And do you all wear those funny things on your heads?"
"No..... Not the Goyim!"

This is not a Joke but perhaps comes under the "Too Funny to be True" Category:
A Jewish Cemetery sits in the parking lot of the Detroit/Hamtramck Auto Plant and is only open 8 hours a year????

http://nighttraintodetroit.com/2011/09/30/beth-olem-the-cemetery-in...

Three brothers were in business together in the time when people still communicated by telegram. Because their clients were spread far and wide the brothers took turns calling on their clients at least once a year.

Yossele had been on the road for only a few weeks when his brothers received a telegram: "START WORRYING STOP DETAILS TO FOLLOW"

Oliver...that's very funny and very Jewish......" wait we don't wanna ruin your day we'll tell you later"!!!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

A.Word.A.Day--tummler

Words borrowed from Yiddish

PRONUNCIATION:
(TOOM-luhr)

MEANING:
noun:
1. A comedian, social director, or entertainer who encourages an audience or guests to participate in entertainment activities.
2. One who incites others to action.
3. A lively, mischievous man.

ETYMOLOGY:
From Yiddish tumler (one who makes a racket), from tumlen (to make a racket), from German tummeln (to stir). Earliest documented use: 1930s.

NOTES:
Catskill resorts in the Catskill Mountains in New York State were a popular vacation destination for Jews during the last century. They were known as the Borscht Belt, after borscht, a type of beet soup popular with Ashkenazi Jewish immigrants. Tummlers were a standard fixture in these resorts.

USAGE:
“And when Lou Goldstein proved adept at other forms of entertainment, the hotel signed him up as its tummler.”
Joseph Berger; Lou Goldstein; Pittsburgh Post-Gazette; Apr 29, 2012.

“An advance man is the tummler of American politics. He is the guy who gets out the crowds, creates a sense of excitement around the candidate, and generates the smell of victory at every stop.”
Burt Glinn; The Wit and Wisdom of a Political Barnum; New York; May 31, 1971.

NOTE: there's also "TUMMEL"...causing trouble....AND...
"TUMMEL MACHER"...a tummel maker...FYI...I've always been a "Tummel Maker"...meaning I love to stir things up!!!
Norm

Showing 31-60 of 109 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion