John Hinton, Col. - There is no proof these families are connected! Why were they merged?

Started by Amy Nordahl Cote on Wednesday, July 1, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 3 posts
7/1/2015 at 6:48 AM

Dear cousins,

Why was this profile merged with the family of Sir John Hinton, Royal Physician and his son James? An unsourced tree in a book or on the internet proves nothing. If no new evidence can be produced, the profiles should be disconnected.

There is currently no proof that these families are connected, and considerable evidence that they were of different social classes, making such a connection unlikely. This purported connection appears to be based on the two generations having the same last name and being the right age. Poor research and unlikely conclusions make this a Spurious Pedigree:

http://www.geni.com/projects/Spurious-Pedigrees/10512

Please read the notes and information under the Overview Tab.

As an alternative to disconnecting the two families, perhaps UNKNOWN HINTON profiles could be added in addition to the current parents.

If anyone has any new evidence, I would be delighted to see it.

-Amy

7/1/2015 at 7:56 AM

Thanks, Amy. I don't know why he was linked up again. I will put in the unknown parents and lock them so they cannot be linked again. Col. John Hinton is my 8th great-grandfather.

7/1/2015 at 9:38 PM

Thanks cousin! He's my 9th great-grandfather--through our shared Bryan line. Maybe we will find a connection to the Wiltshire Hintons, but if we do, I expect it's earlier than Sir John.

Col. John named his brother William in his will--the two brothers were both imported by Henry Hill along with William's wife Eliza or Elizabeth. James may also have been a brother or relative who also came to Chowan NC. I'm just starting to work on William and James so I don't have much on them yet.

Showing all 3 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion