Private User
8/16/2015 at 4:43 AM

Sorry forgot a couple sites.
4th Scottish peerage
5th johnmueller.org
5 sites proving Thomas Fleming married Judith Tarleton

8/15/2019 at 10:04 PM

am contacting you about this profile: Unknown Fleming
In researching the father of Ursula Fleming who is listed as unknown with LDS I came upon the names of Alexander Erastus Fleming Born 1597 in Lanarkshire Scotland Died 1652 and Judith Ursula Tarieton born 1621 St Paul Parish New Kent Virginia died 02/17/1714 New Kent Virginia they had a daughter named Ursula Fleming, it seems to fit. Let me know if I Might be right or if I'm wrong.
Sincerely,

Edward Greg Franz

Edward Greg Franz

8/16/2019 at 12:17 PM

@Ursula Keeling
My research on the Latter Day Saints site shows the names of Alexander Erastus Fleming Born 1597 in Lanarkshire Scotland Died 1652 ( LDS ID lvp7-871) and Judith Ursula Tarieton born 1621 St Paul Parish New Kent Virginia died 02/17/1714 New Kent Virginia (LDS ID KZP8-VL3) they had a daughter named Ursula Fleming,
i'M KIND OF NEW AT THIS SO I WAS WONDERING IF THIS MIGHT BE FACTUAL.
EDWARD FRANZ

8/16/2019 at 12:39 PM

From http://heathcock.org/genealogy/ps20/ps20_440.html

Notes for Ursula Fleming
Quite a few family websites carry a tree that asserts that Capt. George Keeling and Ursula Fleming were parents of Ursula Fleming, who married Thomas Henderson. However, I have not seen hard evidence, such as a will or family bible record, of the relationship.

Likewise, dozens of online family trees assert that Ursula Fleming was a descendant of the Scottish Earls of Wigton.2243 However, this remains controversial.

An early seed for the belief that the Virginia Flemings were descended from the Earls of Wigton was an ancient Fleming family letter, that was related in Volume 23 of the Virginia Magazine of History and Biography around 1900:

"An old record preserved in the Fleming family states that the immigrant ancestor was 'Sir Thomas Fleming, second son of the Earl of Wigdon in Scotland who married in England Miss Tarleton, and came to Virginia in 1616, settling first at Jamestown and afterwards removing to New Kent County 'where he lived and died.' Besides several daughters he left three sons 'Tarleton, John and Charles.' How far this statement in regard to the descent from the Earl of Wigton is correct has never been investigated, but certainly the date given for the immigration is too early. There may be other errors in the tradition.... It is quite possible that the Virginia Flemings descended from one of the younger sons of the Earl. A letter written in Virginia more than a hundred years ago which states that one of the family, the older brother of Judge Wm. Fleming, was then heir to the Earldom of Wigton, shows the antiquity of the tradition."

A related version, asserting that a Thomas Fleming, 2nd son of John Fleming was the Virigina immigrant, appeared in an 1880 book by Montgomery Seaver, entitled “Family Fleming Records.” Seaver gave the following chronology:

• John Fleming 5th Lord Fleming: succeeded to title on death of brother James in 1558. Had issue:
• John Fleming 6th Lord Fleming of Biggar and Cumbernault, created, 1606, Earl of Wigton: d. 1619, and
• SIR THOMAS FLEMING: Knt, emigrated to the Va. Colony, 1616; lived in Kent County.

However, both these articles are incorrect in one important aspect--John Fleming, the 5th Lord Fleming and 2nd Earl of Wigton, did not have a son named Thomas.

8/16/2019 at 12:40 PM

Notes for George (Spouse 1)
George Keeling was born circa 1635. He married Ursula Fleming, circa 1658. She was possibly the daughter of Thomas and Judith Ursula Tarleton Fleming, and was born circa 1639. [Note. Ursula’s father was not Thomas Fleming--this is an incorrect legend.]

Showing all 6 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion