Samuel Bigelow - Please see the correct burial location for Samuel in Marlborough

Started by Private User on Saturday, October 24, 2015
Problem with this page?

Participants:

Profiles Mentioned:

Showing all 11 posts
Private User
10/24/2015 at 4:33 PM

Find a grave is attached with correct death date.
Thanks

10/24/2015 at 5:11 PM

Hi Private User.
I changed the death date. But I was curious as to why someone who died in Massachusetts would be buried in Michigan.....

10/24/2015 at 5:13 PM

If that is the location of burial, then that needs to be corrected also.

10/24/2015 at 5:37 PM

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/BIGELOW/2002-10/10358...
Perhaps this explains it. Were Samuel and Ruth moved to Michigan by their great grandson Cornelius Bigelow.....

Private User
10/25/2015 at 11:40 AM

She goes off the track starting with Ebenezer. He died in Vermont. His death there is verified by the DAR.
I'll attach that info to his profile. I'm trying to go through and verify each birth, death, marriage with sources. If anyone questions the sources, they can order the documentation for it from the various entities involved. Thanks Linda.

Private User
10/25/2015 at 12:07 PM

Yes, the othe " Cornelius" is also born in the wrong town. She probably just mixed up the fathers. There were a lot of Bigelows by that time in a small area in MA. I believe that our GGF Cornelius probably died in Windham County Vermont, but Vermont has very sketchy/no VRs before 1840. Paul and family headed up there after the revolution, with a bunch of our other ancestors, and got as far as New Hampshire, where Rachel was from. I'm also looking at the Bishop family movements at that time. They are also found in Windham County Vermont at the same time. I think they were hunting and homesteading. The Windham County historical association may have some records, I'm corresponding with them about Ezra. If I get an update I'll let you know. However, the Bigelow Society records still stand as the best reference.

Private User
10/25/2015 at 12:29 PM

Our Cornelius should also be in a soldier data base for his service in the War of 1812. When I applied to the DAR I only had to prove back to Ebenezer, so I know they have supporting docs ( including Ebenezer).

Private User
10/25/2015 at 12:34 PM

Correction there, Cornelius served in the militia and Seven Years War.

10/25/2015 at 6:02 PM

The repetitive names can confuse.
I requested a photo at findagrave. If it has a grave stone or memorial stone. I'll let you know if they add a photo.

10/25/2015 at 8:11 PM

I got the response already, Private User.

"Greetings from Find A Grave,

We are writing to let you know that a Find A Grave volunteer has reported a problem with your photo request for Ruth Bigelow.

The general problem they reported is:
Cemetery office has no record of this person

They also reported, specifically:
I have checked with Cemetery office and walked cemetery and Neither Samuel Jr or Ruth or Buried in Oakwood Cemetery Grand Ledge Michigan"

My guess is that they were actually buried in Massachusetts.

Private User
10/26/2015 at 10:34 AM

I concur.

Showing all 11 posts

Create a free account or login to participate in this discussion